PDA

View Full Version : A Pox on Both of You!

Robert Toy
09-11-2008, 03:26 PM
All my pissy, tongue-in-cheek posts aside, IMO, neither the Republican nor Democratic candidates have made a single, clear policy statement on an issue that is relevant to the American people and the crisis we are facing in real everyday life

Bashing the opponent's nebulous, no detail policies with your own nebulous, no detail policies is beginning to get to me…hence, a pox on both their houses.

johnnysannie
09-11-2008, 05:15 PM
All my pissy, tongue-in-cheek posts aside, IMO, neither the Republican nor Democratic candidates have made a single, clear policy statement on an issue that is relevant to the American people and the crisis we are facing in real everyday life

Bashing the opponent's nebulous, no detail policies with your own nebulous, no detail policies is beginning to get to me…hence, a pox on both their houses.

Quite poetic and Shakespearian of you, Robert.

Robert Toy
09-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Quite poetic and Shakespearian of you, Robert.
Re: Your modified sig line "lipstick"...and you wonder why this crap never ends.

johnnysannie
09-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Re: Your modified sig line "lipstick"...and you wonder why this crap never ends.

Sarah said it; it's fair game.

donroc
09-11-2008, 07:00 PM
So Obama thought? ;)

C A Winters
09-11-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm with Robert 100% on this one.

BenPanced
09-11-2008, 08:48 PM
"Do you have any plans on ending US dependency on foreign oil?"
"In all fairness, my opponent's personal life has nothing to do with this election, and I have no comment on whether or not they have gotten dental caps."

tiny
09-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Sarah said it; it's fair game.

My Muslim faith.

Jcomp
09-11-2008, 10:28 PM
My Muslim faith.

Misinterpreted. He was stating that McCain has not stooped to calling him "Muslim."

Palin's comment isn't misinterpreted at all. The pig / lipstick comment is unrelated.

Not the same thing.

tiny
09-11-2008, 10:41 PM
He still said it. Fair game.

And the point is, all this sniping bullshit goes both ways and is tiring. It's a game that both sides can play with equal stupidity. Robert's right, neither are all that. And if one wants to claim that what Palin said is "fair game" then whatever Obama, McCain, Biden say is "fair game" regardless. Everyone is twisting things up to fit their own agenda from both sides.

Shadow_Ferret
09-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Palin's comment isn't misinterpreted at all. The pig / lipstick comment is unrelated.
So, you don't think that someone of Obama's intelligence and speaking abiities didn't use the pig/lipstick statement in a vacuum, do you? There are dozens of other statements that mean exactly the same thing. No, he chose that particular metaphor deliberately because of Palin.

And if he didn't use it deliberately and wasn't aware of how it might be taken the way it has been, then he isn't nearly as smart as everyone gives him credit for.

Anyway, this whole campaign is full of stupid, silly sniping that advances NOTHING. NOTHING! And merely shows none of them are mature enough to be my leader.

blacbird
09-12-2008, 02:16 AM
So, you don't think that someone of Obama's intelligence and speaking abiities didn't use the pig/lipstick statement in a vacuum, do you? There are dozens of other statements that mean exactly the same thing. No, he chose that particular metaphor deliberately because of Palin.

You haven't actually seen the video, have you, Ferret?

He absolutely did not use the pig/lipstick statement in reference to Palin. And John McCain did not use the pig/lipstick statement the three or four times he's on video saying it, in reference to Hillary Clinton. Obama used it in direct explicit reference to John McCain's record of support for Bush Administration policies; McCain used it in direct explicit reference to Hillary Clinton's health-care plans.

In neither case was it used or intended for use as a personal insult, and the full context of the various videos makes that completely clear.

Now, the fact that the McCain campaign chose immediately to accuse Obama of using it as a Palin insult says a lot more about the McCain campaign than it does about Obama.

caw

Shadow_Ferret
09-12-2008, 02:24 AM
You haven't actually seen the video, have you, Ferret?

He absolutely did not use the pig/lipstick statement in reference to Palin. And John McCain did not use the pig/lipstick statement the three or four times he's on video saying it, in reference to Hillary Clinton. Obama used it in direct explicit reference to John McCain's record of support for Bush Administration policies; McCain used it in direct explicit reference to Hillary Clinton's health-care plans.

In neither case was it used or intended for use as a personal insult, and the full context of the various videos makes that completely clear.

Now, the fact that the McCain campaign chose immediately to accuse Obama of using it as a Palin insult says a lot more about the McCain campaign than it does about Obama.

caw
Oh, Please. I've seen the whole video. Are you telling me Obama is too stupid to know how that lipstick comment would be taken? The guy has to understand the power of rhetorical speaking. And McCain's use of it is a red herring. At no time did Hillary ever make a much publicized joke about lipstick during her campaign. Palin did.

It's there in big bright lights for anyone to see. Maybe everyone is just giving far too much credit to Obama in the intelligence department then.

Williebee
09-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Actually it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Sen. Obama did say it intentionally, just so they could spin the reaction.

But, well said, Sir Robert!

sassandgroove
09-12-2008, 02:35 AM
Black BIrd, Obama can come to my house, and tell me that personally. It may even be true. It doesn't matter. Palin made a joke about LIpstick, more than once actually. He had to know a comparison would be made. If not, then I agree with Ed, he's not as smart as everyone is giving him credit for. Personally, I wish the news would talk about something else though, because it isn't news that opponents are going to take shots at each other.

Sarah said it; it's fair game.I think you just missed Robert's point entirely.

Jcomp
09-12-2008, 03:17 AM
He still said it. Fair game.

And the point is, all this sniping bullshit goes both ways and is tiring. It's a game that both sides can play with equal stupidity. Robert's right, neither are all that. And if one wants to claim that what Palin said is "fair game" then whatever Obama, McCain, Biden say is "fair game" regardless. Everyone is twisting things up to fit their own agenda from both sides.

Well, my point is that the "My Muslim faith" quote is being twisted to somehow indicate that Obama is in fact a super-secret Muslim black dude intent on handing the keys to the country over to his Muslim overlords as soon as he gets the presidency.

Palin's "Lipstick on a pitbull" comment in the context of johnnysannie's post isn't any kind of twist. Palin likened her tenacity to that of a pitbull, johnnysannie is saying she doesn't approve of that mentality in the White House. At least that's all I'm gleaning from her use of the quote. It's not even close to the same thing.

And if he didn't use it deliberately and wasn't aware of how it might be taken the way it has been, then he isn't nearly as smart as everyone gives him credit for.

Anyway, this whole campaign is full of stupid, silly sniping that advances NOTHING. NOTHING! And merely shows none of them are mature enough to be my leader.

I'm not ready to write off the man's intelligence based on one malapropos use of a colloquialism. I've screwed up a good many speeches and comments in my day and I'm still not ready to call myself less intelligent for occassional flubs. The whole thing over Obama and this gotdamn lipstick is as idiotic as the Obama supporters and surrogates who went nuts over Billy Clint's "fairy tale" remark as though it were a racist comment, completely excising the context in which they were used.

As far as the sniping, well, that's politics. Petty, silly sniping has been around for ages in politics. If people didn't latch onto it and instead decided to focus on issues and policies then none of this would matter...

tiny
09-12-2008, 04:18 AM
Well, my point is that the "My Muslim faith" quote is being twisted to somehow indicate that Obama is in fact a super-secret Muslim black dude intent on handing the keys to the country over to his Muslim overlords as soon as he gets the presidency.

Palin's "Lipstick on a pitbull" comment in the context of johnnysannie's post isn't any kind of twist. Palin likened her tenacity to that of a pitbull, johnnysannie is saying she doesn't approve of that mentality in the White House. At least that's all I'm gleaning from her use of the quote. It's not even close to the same thing.

Look back at the thread. She simply said it was fair game because Palin said it. Well, Obama said "my Muslim faith", therefore fair game. And, this is NOT the point of the thread, which way too many people are missing.