Status
Not open for further replies.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I remember I was dating this girl and I told her (stupid me) that I did a bit of writing. She then enthusiastically told me about a "novel idea" she had. Being the kind person I am--when I want to get laid, LOLZ AMIRITE?--I listened to her story. Lo and behold, the twist was:

"... and really it was all a dream. Isn't that a cool idea?"

/facepalm

Yeah, cool idea.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I remember I was dating this girl and I told her (stupid me) that I did a bit of writing. She then enthusiastically told me about a "novel idea" she had. Being the kind person I am--when I want to get laid, LOLZ AMIRITE?--I listened to her story. Lo and behold, the twist was:

"... and really it was all a dream. Isn't that a cool idea?"

/facepalm

Yeah, cool idea.

Gah!

The evil wizard is really... wait for it... your MC's long-lost brother!

The evil king is really... wait for it... your MC's long lost father!

The evil queen is really... wait for it... ah, fuck it.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I think I'm going to put...Then Jek woke up, and discovered it had all been a dream, and he was really a straight white boy living in Milwaukee. at the end of my novel.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
And did you notice that they were saved in the nick of time in every book by their Dad? - followed by a chapter-long explanation of how he knew where they were.

Better than Nancy Drew. They were saved by their boyfriends.

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would have been awesome if the Hardy Boys books had ended with them being saved by their boyfriends.

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, yeah, the first one.

If we're going to be all on topic, the plot twists I find irritating are the ones where some previously absent and/or unknown god stomps in and saves the day, averting an otherwise unpreventable disaster. That's cheating.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
After going through hell to complete his quest, the MC discovers he all s/he needed was back home the whole time! Goes back to a tearful reunion and saves the world all in one chapter.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
1) MC related to Evil Overlord in some manner.
2) Evil Overlord could not be killed in past-they only managed to seal him away. But MC is gonna kill him now- with much reduced knowledge.
3) MC's parents are not real parents. (phew.....)

And a few others. I would say the farmer boy becomes hero one but I realize why writers often use that so I won't criticize that.

TMA-1

Registered
Reaction score
Better than Nancy Drew. They were saved by their boyfriends.
I used to read the Hardy Boys all the time when I was a kid. But the only Nancy Drew I've ever read was a crossover between Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, so I had no idea Nancy and friends were saved by their boyfriends all the time. Is that true, and if so... what's the point? :)

TMA-1

Registered
Reaction score
By the way, the it was all a dream twist is something I've used perhaps twice in my life, tops, when I was really young and hadn't thought through the story well enough and had to end the whole thing quickly.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, yeah, the first one.

If we're going to be all on topic, the plot twists I find irritating are the ones where some previously absent and/or unknown god stomps in and saves the day, averting an otherwise unpreventable disaster. That's cheating.

But Deus ex Machina has been done for thousands of years. By now it surely is a tradition and not cheating. Really? Please?

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I used to read the Hardy Boys all the time when I was a kid. But the only Nancy Drew I've ever read was a crossover between Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, so I had no idea Nancy and friends were saved by their boyfriends all the time. Is that true, and if so... what's the point? :)

There is none. It's all "exciting" and "mysterious" paint by numbers.

Course, it took me a dozen of them to realize this, as a kid.
The boyfriends saving them every damn time was the real dealbreaker, though, not the predictability.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I think I'm going to put...Then Jek woke up, and discovered it had all been a dream, and he was really a straight white boy living in Milwaukee. at the end of my novel.
I'm going to put something similair. Then a page or two describing the life of a straight white boy in Milwaukee, before finishing with...Then he woke up again and discovered the Milwaukee thing was a dream, and he was really the son of the Evil Emperor of Gnaaz, and the Saviour of all Mankind.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I think it was the sexism inherent in the system: that, being female, they're unable to save themselves until the Strong Males show up to set things aright.

Or, is that what you meant? ;)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I think it was the sexism inherent in the system: that, being female, they're unable to save themselves until the Strong Males show up to set things aright.

Or, is that what you meant? ;)

Presumably.
And I assume it was meant to be funny, Jimmy, though I'll admit it just reads to me as yet another male thinking misogyny is funny.

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
Here's one:

- Wizard thinks that everyone has forgotten his birthday
- Wizard, furious, decides to destroy the world
- Here's the rub: Wizard's friends have only pretended to forget his birthday.
In fact, they are throwing him a surprise birthday party.
- Hilarity ensues

(Too bad Wizard was such a poor sport and destroyed half the world before he realized his error. Oops.)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Stories where the main characters are aliens commenting on human behaviour, but it's worded to make it sound like it's the other way around. Right until the end, where the twist is revealed.

This is a fun and unexpected plot twist the first time you read it. After that, it's far too predictable.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
The Wizard of Oz.

All you really needed to do Dorothy was click your heels together and say there is no place like home three times.

Why couldn't she just tell her that at the beginning of the movie?

Note: I really do like The Wizard of Oz. I think it's a fantastic movie. It's just that one part that irks me.

Status
Not open for further replies.