Looking for recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Fantasy stories about big musclemen or farmboys-turned-chosen-one saving the day pretty much grow on trees, but what about one with a female protagonist? I'm just don't think there are enough cool action-heroines out there and I'm having the hardest time finding any. Could my fellow AW-ers extend a helping hand, please? My gratitude will be your reward. :)

And I'm talking action-adventure here, not the urban fantasy wish-fulfillment shtick about a magic-wielding lady beset by gorgeous vampire suitors.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Not a muscle woman of the likes of Wonder Woman, but you have read Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart and sequels? The heroine, Phaedra, definitely saves the day.
Over and over and ...

But it's a good read.

Fillanzea

Registered
Reaction score
How about Elizabeth Moon's "Deed of Paksennarion"?
Going out on a limb here, because it's pomo and weird and 1100 pages long and rather hard to find in the U.S., but "Ash: A Secret History" by Mary Gentle is one of my favorite books ever, about a female mercenary captain who hears a voice in her head instructing her on military strategy.
There's Tamora Pierce, too, though she writes YA.

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
I'm just don't think there are enough cool action-heroines out there and I'm having the hardest time finding any.

Here here!!!

I wholeheartedly agree!

You say that you are looking for action-adventure, and I'm not 100% sure that these will fit your idea of swashbuckling A&A ala Xena Warrior Princess, but these books have strong females in them:

- Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress
- The Scar by China Mieville
- most any book by Octavia Butler
- The Moon and the Sun by Vonda McIntyre
- Sunshine by Robin McKinley

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Green Rider, First Rider's Call, and High King's Tomb, by Kristen Britain? It's traditional pseudo-medieval fantasy, with a female protagonist who kicks some serious butt.

Tachyon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tachyondecay.net
Not a muscle woman of the likes of Wonder Woman, but you have read Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart and sequels? The heroine, Phaedra, definitely saves the day.
Over and over and ...

But it's a good read.
I just picked up Kushiel's Justice from the library today, totally not realizing it was part of a series ... so I'm going to have to read the first ones before I start this one, I suppose.

I enjoyed Lisa Shearin's Magic Lost, Trouble Found and sequel Armed and Magical with more to come.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I just picked up Kushiel's Justice from the library today, totally not realizing it was part of a series ... so I'm going to have to read the first ones before I start this one, I suppose.
Yes, you will. The stories are well writ, and possibly may stand alone, but they really do follow one another in series. Seriously. Start with Kushiel's Dart.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen many more female main characters done poorly than well. Kushiel series is a good one.

In frequency of highest to lowest it goes: farm-boy adolescents, musclemen, believable males, unrealistic females, real females.

Broadswordbabe

I'd rather be a cat.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gaiesebold.com
Try Terry Pratchett. Seriously. You want arse-kicking heroines? Angua. Not only that but middle aged arse-kicking heroines? Granny Weatherwax. Nanny Ogg. All that, philosophy and humour too.

But you're right, there's a serious shortage.

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
I've been rereading The Hero and the Crown lately, and I think it would meet your criteria, with one caveat: it moves slowly.

More toward sword-and-sorcery, there's the Slayers series of novels, told in first person by the quick-tempered and somewhat snarky protagonist, Lina Inverse. These are lighter in tone and quick reads (and skew toward YA).

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Well, based on some of these suggestions I've been picking out some books for my next amazon.com purchase. I was kind of hoping for more replies and more options, but I guess there really is a dearth of good action heroines.
I'll have to make do with what I can get. Thanks everyone. :)

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
If you don't mind contemporary, I'm highly partial to Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series that features a kick-butt heroine. Love, love, love those books! But it is urban fantasy, just none of the traditional tropes like vamps and weres. The magic is highly unique and bizarre as it relates t the weather. I also love the Zodiac series by Vicki Petterson. This is contemporary as well, featuring superheros, and the main character is an awesomely tough heroine. This series is a favorite of mine as well.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Who wrote The Blue Sword? Was it Robin McKinley? Because that was a good story with a female protaganist, and in a slightly unusual fantasy world, kind of based around the British Raj and desert shieks.

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
Yes, The Blue Sword was written by Robin McKinley, and I can't believe I forgot to mention that she also wrote The Hero and the Crown. Oops. Both of those are set in the same universe; The Blue Sword was written first but takes place hundreds of years later.

It's been a long time since I read The Blue Sword, especially since I don't own a copy, but remember Harry being a more passive heroine than Aerin. Probably still (realistically) tougher than most fantasy heroines on the market, though.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I just read a rather nice YA story: The Eye of the Wolf, by Troon Harrison
It features a young female protagonist who ... well, just read it. :)

ETA: this isn't fantasy, per se, as it's listed as a SF novel, but it is very soft SF, and to me, has very fantasy-like flavor.

Kirby

Destined to serve and roam.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Inkheart. The protagonist is little Meggie who, like her father, can read things out of books.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I made a short list here.

Copying, cause I'm lazy:

Terri Windling, The Wood Wife
R.A. Macavoy, Tea with the Black Dragon
Lois McMaster Bujold, Paladin of Souls (technically a sequel to The Curse of Chalion)
Emma Bull, War for the Oaks
Steven Brust's Jhereg books
Garth Nix, Sabriel
Robin McKinley, Beauty or Sunshine (or anything else)
Patricia Wrede, Mairelon the Magician
Caroline Stevermer, A College of Magics
Wrede and Stevermer, Sorcery and Cecelia
Diana Wynne Jones, Howl's Moving Castle
Ursula Le Guin, The Tombs of Atuan
Diane Duane, So You Want To Be A Wizard

Several of these are urban fantasy. They're not the urban fantasy you seem to be in hate with. I don't really read that.

Status
Not open for further replies.