Status
Not open for further replies.

payitforward

Muppet Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nancyhigh.wordpress.com
Well, I've noticed that quite a bit of contemporary urban fantasy is written in 1st person (Rachel Morgan series, Harry Dresden, etc).

Do you think there are more drawbacks to writing an urban fantasy in third person?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I think the first person trend was started in part by the huge success of Jim Butcher's Dresden books, but there are quite a few successful series out there in third person as well. Third person is in no way a bar to success, if that's how you want to write it.

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
I would think that it would depend on the story itself. Some stories lend themselves well to a certain point of view. I would consider heavily the prevalent point of view in the genre, but you've got to do what's best for the story always.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Most UF that I've read is in first person, partly because it's a blend of the mystery/crime/thriller/whatever-that-genre-is, which is also written in first person quite often. That doesn't mean you can't write a good one in third, though. Do whatever comes naturally.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about this lately. My UF WIP has three POVs, one for each MC (hello acronym, my old friend), so I did it 3rd person, but my next novel is definitely going to be 1st person. I see the same trend you do in the bookstore and figure it can't hurt to go with the flow. :)

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you want to highlight, PIF. Sympathy (wanting the character to succeed) or empathy (caring about how the character feels)? It also depends on how you want to reveal it.

Third person is good at letting us sympathise with the main character and empathise with the world, but first person often helps us empathise with the main character and sympathise with the world.

So if your MC is very sympathetic then I'd suggest third person (e.g. Tolkien's hobbits). This gives you options for omniscient empathy to look at the reactions of others. If it's less sympathetic then I'd suggest first person (e.g. Chandler's Marlowe or Fraser's Flashman) or limited third. This opens up empathy so that at least we understand what your MC is feeling.

It may also be helpful to consider whether you want the character to operate more on the world or the world to operate more on the character - and how you want to reveal the character to the audience: outside-in (by impressions and impacts) or inside-out (by motives and reactions)?

If your character is operating on the world but revealed inside-out then you might choose first person (e.g. Gene Wolfe's Severian in the Book of the New Sun series). If it's outside-in then you might choose third (e.g. Batman).

If the world is operating on a character who's being revealed inside-out then you might choose third person (e.g. Akakii Akakievich in Gogol's The Overcoat). If it's outside-in then you can choose either (Lady MacBeth is third person for instance, but I generally prefer 1P or limited 3P because it feels tenser to me).

Also, if you want to alternate between sympathy and empathy it can be useful to use a 3P observer who's actually a character in the story. A lot of horror stories do this, for instance.

Random ideas here that I've been putting together... Hope they may help.

Last edited:

payitforward

Muppet Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nancyhigh.wordpress.com
Wow, thanks all! And Ruv Draba, thanks for all those points. I'm going to sit and ponder on them for a while.

I actually took the first five pages and did one version in 1st person, and one in 3rd. Still simmering in the stew, so to speak, so I'm not sure which works best for the story. But all your comments are helping me find direction!

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Also think about what the requirements of the story are. I'm doing an urban fantasy, and neither third nor first was right--it was omniscient. There were a number of very specific elements that were better suited for omniscient.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
What Linda said. I'd also add considering your MC's voice. If she/he has a very strong or particular voice, first person can really work to your advantage. If their voice isn't that strong but yours is (the narrative voice), third person would work well.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but omniscient IS third person, yes?

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score

Generally. I suppose you could do omniscient 1st person if your narrator is injecting themselves somehow into the narrative as in:

Biff walked out the magic door. I noticed that the blood sugar in his brain was kind of low so I wasn't surprised when he fainted.

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com

Yes. But in omniscient, the narrator has the ability to look into everyone's mind whereas a tight 3rd person POV sticks to a single character.

One reason I personally don't like 1st person is that often the writer is locked into a single POV and I like the diversity of having more than one character weigh in. (Though there are some books with multiple 1st person POV's.)

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
You know, that's actually an interesting thought... Doing an omniscient PoV, but telling it first person AS the narrator. Has that ever been done?

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
You know, that's actually an interesting thought... Doing an omniscient PoV, but telling it first person AS the narrator. Has that ever been done?

I have no idea...but it seems like it would work like 3rd person limited since
the narrator would have to situate themselves somehow so that the reader could make sense of the omniscience.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I thought long and hard about this because I had an idea that would have only worked in third person, but eventually, the story I started writing came out naturally in first person.

There are no rules except write the best damned story you can.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
For my UF I did limited 3rd, for me it adds more layers and mystery to the work because you don't know what every (besides the MC) is thinking. This helps me also create the overwhelming feeling about being in an urban landscape that I am going for.

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com

Yes. There is a YA book called The Girls that I just read where five girls all tell about the same incident. Every chapter gives voice to a single girl (some get to speak more than once). It's a very short book (I think it this style might become tedious in a very long one), but it struck me as a very creative way to write a story. The book isn't fantasy or anything, and really is meant to appeal to preteen girls, but I found it interesting.

There's probably more out there like this, but this was the only one that I could think of.

Stormhawk

Angry Bunny Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.requirecookie.com
I do third person limited, it started out of a need to get myself out of the bad habit of head-hopping, but now I've found that it works quite well for my UF.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
I do third person limited, it started out of a need to get myself out of the bad habit of head-hopping, but now I've found that it works quite well for my UF.

I actually had the problem too. One reason why my first book was 182K long.

When I went back to edit it (with some sharp criticism from my English major gf), I was amazed at how much tighter it became when I cut a lot of those extra scenes and internal monologue.

FionnJameson

Fionn: 0/Year: 24
Registered
Reaction score
I think the first person trend was started in part by the huge success of Jim Butcher's Dresden books, but there are quite a few successful series out there in third person as well. Third person is in no way a bar to success, if that's how you want to write it.

Um, don't you mean LK Hamilton?

With that said, my UF is written in first person, and I prefer to read UF in first person. I gave up on Anita Blake a LONG time ago, but I still enjoy Rachel Morgan as well as Dante Valentine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.