Not open for further replies.

payitforward

Muppet Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nancyhigh.wordpress.com
Hey All,

Well, I know there's a "no news is good news" thread out there (thanks Cindy!) for those of us waiting while our agents submit our books to pubs.

I'm wondering, for those of you whose agent sold your work, what was your wait time? Was it slower in summer? Faster in the fall? Wicked quick in winter?

Would love to hear people's experiences there--tis would give me hope--and patience!

N

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had any experience just yet but I've heard that the average is 6 mo - 1 year...somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Per my agent, it varies and there's no set formula.

She got my first book in December and subbed it in the same month. It was bought in May. So, 5-6 months from agent to publisher acceptance.

BUT, she got my second book in December and subbed it the same month, too. And it's out to its third publisher, and still waiting to hear. Same with my others.

I look at it as now I get to do the hurry up and wait thing and get rejected at a higher level. But it's the highest level, so I'm okay with it.

Like finding an agent, finding your publisher works the same -- your agent has to hit the right editor with the right book at the right time.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
There are no hard and fast guidelines. Overall, and for obvious reasons, everything publishing is slower during the summer months, and periods surrounding holidays all year long.

Wait time also varies. For instance, does the agent want the writer to do any revisions, to create a proposal, or whatever else before submissions go out?

How busy is the agent and how many other genres and writers does she handle?

My experience with agent submittals are all over the place -- from 2-3 months to one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.