About M. Night Shamalan's (sp?) The Happening...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Read or Die

Registered
Reaction score
Not to go too off topic, but I just realized that my sci-fi novel, which has heavy involvement of savage, albeit, alien plants is no longer looking too good, due impart to people's reaction to the killer plants in this movie.

The thing is while my idea is conceptually quite different from The Happening, I am still afraid that people won't be able to take it "seriously." As some people thought the idea in The Happening was silly.

Need to know info about my concept:

Otherworldly plants have evolved rather savagely to defend themselves from the horde of ravenous and adept insects that threaten their survival. As such, the plants are highly susceptible to mutating and can become very hostile when they feel threatened. Aside from being threatened, the plants are fairly innocuous and because of their habit of mutating, these plants have been adopted by terraformers for the known galaxy's first free-range terraformation project. Occasionally, a plant will revert to baser instincts, but these cases are few and far between.

In the novel (without spoiling, XD) these plants are semi-important, but are not the villains.

I know it seems silly to worry about this. However, in most media (particularly animation) whenever plants attack, its played (understandably) for laughs.

Thanks in advance.

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
When Richard Adams tried to publish, "Watership Down"- he was repeatedly turned down. "No one will want to read an adult novel about bunnies." Hmmm.....they turned out to be wrong, didn't they?

I haven't seen The Happening so I can't judge that. As for the notion that anytime plants are involved- people find it humorous- maybe that's because films based on that premise usually go for comedic. I doubt Revenge of the Killer Tomatoes was ever intended to be serious.

If you don't want people to laugh at your story- write it in earnest. I'm all for people trying new things. Go for it!

Btw- there's a great book, "The Secret Life of Plants". It's all about scientific experiments done on plants that showed how plants reacted to different emotions. It might help you as you write your story.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
By the time you publish (if that) the movie will be 2-3 years in the past, as the movie was influenced by writing done several years in the past, and took several years to film. Whatever got the plant thing rolling will be something like 5 years ago (possibly more). Movies and books are different media. What does or does not appeal to movie fans, might be okay to book readers.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
No-one will remember The Happening in 5 years time. However, people still remember Wyndham's apocalyptic science fiction classic The Day of the Triffids with its murderous plants almost 60 years after it was published. Don't worry, you're in great company, even with Shamamalan's recent attempts to singlehandedly destroy the art of storytelling.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
However, people still remember Wyndham's apocalyptic science fiction classic The Day of the Triffids with its murderous plants

The TV series scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. My mother-in-law got me an Amaryllis plant , and I had to get rid of it. Looked like a Triffid. *shudder*

Write your book. Try and sell it. If necessary, tweak your pitch to make it as different as can be from The Happening. Then let your writing skills sell the book.

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
No-one will remember The Happening in 5 years time.

Amen to that. The Happening was the worst movie I've seen in a long time - and not because of the premise. It was the execution and the fact that there were plot holes large enough to drive a truck through. (A true pity because I am a big fan of Shyamalan's.)

Just the fact that your story involves other planets makes your novel w-a-y different than the movie.

To echo what everyone else is saying, go for it!! :)

ejket

Noobus Perpetuus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid that even The Sixth Sense---which I thought, like The Usual Suspects, to be competent but not exactly earth-shaking---has been tainted for me by the crap that Shyamalan has done since.

Anyway, I'd say that doing anything very contemporary and terrifying with plants will be a challenge, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. Don't let the crash and burn of Shyamalan's career put you off too much.

Read or Die

Registered
Reaction score
I see, thanks for all the great help. I am still a little worried though, but writing it earnestly? I can definitely do that.

Also, many apologies for posting this in the wrong forum. It was late, so forgive the lapse in judgment.

Btw- there's a great book, "The Secret Life of Plants". It's all about scientific experiments done on plants that showed how plants reacted to different emotions. It might help you as you write your story.

Indeed, I must remember this. Because at some point, at least one of my plants well evolve.
"Watership Down"

*cries*

However, people still remember Wyndham's apocalyptic science fiction classic The Day of the Triffids with its murderous plants almost 60 years after it was published. Don't worry, you're in great company, even with Shamamalan's recent attempts to singlehandedly destroy the art of storytelling.

Ha! And true. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.