Status
Not open for further replies.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I haven't confirmed this with my editor, but when I tell you that Steve Tem is not the kind of fellow to joke about these sorts of things, I hope you know that there's no way Steve would joke about something like this.

http://shocklinesforum.yuku.com/topic/5535

This is particularly bad news for me, as you can imagine.

I bet more than a few of you fine folks had projects on submit with them, thus I felt like it might behoove us to spread the word a bit.

Again, I'm still waiting for confirmation from my editor.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Let's hope that they sell the imprint. The line has actually done very well, and so it's a good candidate.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Yark...I hope it's not true. They only published four books! I'm sure you can find another publisher, of course.

Damn. I have a full out with them. I guess I can just mark that puppy down as rejected now.

mhughes

Profesionel Speelchecker
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mooseandink.com
Dangit. Sure, I got a rejection from them last time I submitted, but it was a handwritten and "Submit Again" rejection. I was hoping to send my current WIP in their direction.

Good luck to those who had stuff with them.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Crapola, Ducky. But I wondered about the line when they stamped it as "genre-light" if they wen't shooting themselves in the preverbial foot. Y'know, when they turned their noses up at the "tired, old" genre staples such as vamps, weres, serious sci-fi - the stuff that's selling like mad! And for such a large publishing arm to only crank out four titles seemed rather weak. They could have potentially flooded the market with a dozen books off the bat if not more and taken it by storm.

It just hasn't been the same since D&D went corporate.

Pike

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
Crapola, Ducky. But I wondered about the line when they stamped it as "genre-light" if they wen't shooting themselves in the preverbial foot. Y'know, when they turned their noses up at the "tired, old" genre staples such as vamps, weres, serious sci-fi - the stuff that's selling like mad! And for such a large publishing arm to only crank out four titles seemed rather weak. They could have potentially flooded the market with a dozen books off the bat if not more and taken it by storm.

Pike

I couldn't agree more. I still have all my D&D books and modules from the early 1980s; I'm just waiting for my kids to get old enough so I can get back to being a serious nerd!!!!

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I think that the different approach was actually good for WotC. It showed they weren't only about the D&D inspired novels, but committed to printing things that were non-traditional to the genre.

I, for one, wish I could have back even half the hours and dollars I spent on Dragonlance books.

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com

Pike

You don't have the whole story, Pike, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't use this tone when your statements indicate your total darkness.

I won't post it publicly in full, since from me it is just hearsay, but feel free to PM me and I'll fill you in on why many of the legitimate objections to this imprint you list are completely bogus, and more than a little bit offensive to me, in particular. I'll be civil. It's not your fault you don't know.

I do wonder why you would turn around and post something phrased like this in the face of what is always bad news to every reader and writer. Please keep the context of your statement in mind. This is bad news to a lot of people around here, who have projects on submission (or out) with this very company.

The editorial and promotional and production staff at Wizards of the Coast did a phenomenal job, and they had every intention of continuing to do a phenomenal job. If given the chance they deserved, they would have done great things exactly as they set out to do them.

This is Hasbro's folly. Hasbro is focusing on their core competencies in a time of economic turmoil - namely, doing "kid stuff".

Applying MBA business truisms from 1950's kitchen appliances to an information age media company in 2010 is about as useful as applying the rules of DDT-era farming to satellite radio. But, as Steve says over at his forum about this, "that's showbiz".

Let's not speculate too heavily on what is and what could be and what could have been better, pike. Especially when we still don't know the whole story, and I'm still waiting for confirmation.

Heck, I will likely not know the whole story, ever, and I'm as close as you can be to the issue without being directly affected.

My projects are all fine, as far as I can tell. It's these other authors, fine people and very talented, all of them, like the Tems, who have to deal with the full fallout of Hasbro's decision.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Oops...

I fully admit that I don't have the full story. I know the commitment of the Wizards group and how Hasbro has made it difficult for them to produce and promote product. To be honest though I didn't think my statement, as ignorant as it my have been, was all that offensive. IMHO I felt that they (whomever was determining the scope of the acceptances) were cutting themselves short by curbing down what they wanted. This wasn't meant as a slam against the writers that were accepted. You and the others were obviously a cut above the rest to make contracts. Of that there is no doubt.

Looks like I said something that cut a nerve and I apologize, Ducky. No need to explain. Free country and all: free to make opinions and free to screw up and shove ones foot deep into ones own mouth. And believe me, it doesn't always taste that good.

Peace?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
This is Hasbro's folly. Hasbro is focusing on their core competencies in a time of economic turmoil - namely, doing "kid stuff".

Applying MBA business truisms from 1950's kitchen appliances to an information age media company in 2010 is about as useful as applying the rules of DDT-era farming to satellite radio.
I was going to write some about this in my earlier post - I've seen it in other industries and cannot believe how often it happens.

Someone in power wants to focus on "core competancies" and decides to exclude all complementary business units, regardless of how much revenue they bring in. They sell off everything for quick infusions of cash to buoy flagging sales. In the riskiest of economic times, a portfolio of small subsidiaries that bring in consistent, yet small, revenue or growth are absolutely better than putting all of your eggs into on Chinese-lead contaminated basket.

I feel for you Ducky, but you'll land somewhere else.

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Oh, and all ye book collectors take heed:

This line of books was marked by it's quality. These authors will all continue on to have great careers. First editions (with such an interesting backstory) will likely be worth picking up at the store, and saving for later.

Also, reading, but you know... Obviously for reading!

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I learned something very important:

As long as the books that are out (including, I assume, Tim Waggoner and Ari Marmell's books that aren't out, yet) continue to sell well, the Discoveries imprint will continue printing them.

Gee, I wonder what could possibly convince Hasbro that shutting this line of books down is foolish and wrong...

ReneC

Relapsed insomniac :(
Registered
Reaction score
This is a real shame. I was very pleased when I ran across their submissions page, I like Wizards and thought it was fantastic that they were holding open calls for submissions. I was hoping they'd start accepting gengre-heavy submissions too, maybe after getting comfortable with the genre-light line. Guess not, assuming the rumour is true.

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Sorry, JM.

I loved your book, and thought that imprint would do well to expand the genre, rather than making it "genre light". But that's me.

Either way, people...keep writing. Keep sending. Everything will be fine.

AMC

StephenJSweeney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforthesolarsystem.com
badducky - Can you and your agent not now looking for another publisher? After all if it's had good sales and good reviews, I don't see the reason why someone else might not want to pick it up..?

After all, you'd have to find a publisher for your next piece, so you might as well look for someone to pick up this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.