Sniglets

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
I tried posting this yesterday but it disappeared. No great loss, but nevertheless:

There was a comedy show a long way back (early SNL?) that had a segment called Sniglets. Viewers were asked to send in invented words with definitions. Mine didn't make the cut, but I liked them:

Shoddynook: An area that doesn't show and is left rough, unfinished, as the back of a bookcase, the bottom of a chair, etc.

Blandification: Self-explanatory, noted in script conferences, committee work, bills in Senate, etc.

Others?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I used to love Sniglets (created by Rich Hall, from SNL)

Here are a few of the ones I remember -

Lactomangulation - the act of mangling a paper milk carton while trying to open it, forcing you to open it on the "illegal" side

Bovilexia - the inability to resist leaning out the window and yelling "Moo" when driving past a herd of cows

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, Sniglets were first introduced by Rich Hall on the HBO series "Not Neccesarily The News." I never saw that series (and only occasionally watched SNL since the '70's), so I never saw it (though no doubt there's Youtube).

But the idea of sniglets is an amazing meme. I recall some contest from NPR's "All Things Considered" where they did something very similar (I don't think they called them "sniglets" but the idea was very close), take a common word and change one letter of it to make a new word with a "logical", humorous meaning.

This isn't that exact game, but but close enough, and strongly related to sniglets:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5256942

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
My own, but never featured on Not Necessarily the News:

swudge: the thick, sweet slurry that accumulates at the bottom of a cup of hot cocoa.

The gap between a person using an automated banking machine and the next customer in line is: inter-teller space.