PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Creative Directory - thoughts?

Ron Maiden
07-09-2008, 10:58 AM
http://www.hcdonline.com/

anyone used this? opinions, thoughts?
24.95 for a week only trial, seems pretty expensive.

creativexec
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
You can go into a Barnes and Noble, get a cup of coffee or a snack, pull the HCD off the shelf and write down all your research. It's the cheaper way of doing it.

It's very difficult for any of these services (books or online) to keep up with the changing tides at studios, prodcos and agencies. Much of the information is outdated before it's published.

:)

zeprosnepsid
07-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Buying it is $65, so that's actually not bad, considering you probably won't need it for more than a week and the information may be more updated (I'm not sure if it is).

But given that the new one just came out a month ago, the info's probably still ok, although Creative exec is of course right about turnover, and he's also right you can just go to the bookstore. Or even the library. In LA especially, it's pretty easy to find in the library. Then you can even photocopy.

icerose
07-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Buying it is $65, so that's actually not bad, considering you probably won't need it for more than a week and the information may be more updated (I'm not sure if it is).

But given that the new one just came out a month ago, the info's probably still ok, although Creative exec is of course right about turnover, and he's also right you can just go to the bookstore. Or even the library. In LA especially, it's pretty easy to find in the library. Then you can even photocopy.

Isn't there an online version? I personally like Scriptpimp from what I've seen of it, you can load your scripts onto your own private sector as well as your query letters and query direct from the site, as well as expose your loglines and such for others to see.

rihannsu
07-09-2008, 07:46 PM
So, the HCD is about $250 for the online version, but you can get Scriptpimp for $100?

Sounds like a better deal to me.

heatgirl
12-01-2008, 06:04 AM
HCD online now has a deal $19.95 per month...id do this rather than get the book because the site can be updated daily..the book cannot..

mario_c
12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
I subscribed to hcdOnline - will see how it works out. So far, I'm impressed. I bought the Representation book, but found out it's bad to go to agents without first having interest from a prodco.
I've heard mixed reviews of scriptpimp, and I entered the contest. Like Inktip they're very good at taking your money and convincing you they're looking out for you but are they really? HCDOnline is more straightforward - you go into the list, go through every prodco and find out what kind of movies they produce, who the development exec is, and who to call or send a query to. Links too!
Mandy is a free service that does this too, and you can search by region should you be an East coaster like me. I'm using this to search for reader jobs, and hcdOnline for query letters (just to stay organized). Well, we'll see if it's worth $200 a year or not.