Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I know, back to names...

I realized I have to rename my MC (fantasy story) away from Maarten, since that's too Roman in derivation. I've been considering Tjaard, which is a Dutch/Frisian name, but... obviously it's non-English spelling.

So I was wondering how much it'd bother people.

I guess I could spell it Tyaard or Tiaard, but those look really really wrong for Dutch names.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know - it's kinda odd - but then again, look at Chewbacca and Yoda. lol Sometimes I wonder if weird is actually a really good thing with Sci-Fi. The best indicator would be testing people to see how it "reads". My agent and I were working on something once and she really disliked my MC name. She thought it was "annoying to read." See if people have trouble getting through it. That's what I did. Turns out, the agent was right.

Last edited:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I can't really tell, because I speak Dutch and the name's pronunciation is obvious to me :)

I'm sort of looking for good Germanic names that sound like Fantasy Names[sup]TM[/sup], since it's an alternate-Holland fantasy :)

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I don't speak Dutch, so I would try to pronounce "Tjaard" as "Ti-jarred". At least it fits my "I'd recognize it in the text" test even if I can't pronounce it correctly, so no, this name wouldn't bother me. ;)

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't bother me. I gave the j a y sound and it came out fine. As I read it in my head.

Chris Huff

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sisyphus-books.com
It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but you have to consider the Weird Al factor. Chewbacca is Chewie is Chew-toy. Yoda is Soda. Tjaard is Tard.

It sounds silly, I know. But there it is.

I wouldn't use it.

txgrl

Registered
Reaction score
If it works it works. Maybe look at different spellings? But I like it.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
My main concern is: does it fit when set against the other names in the novel?

I mean, if you have Tjaard sitting at the table with his sisters, Marianne and Isabelle, we're going to have problems. But if he's sharing a beer with Hannes and Joord, shouldn't be too big an issue.

Also, I read it fine, but I may be an exception. I pay attention with languages. And I have Dutch friends.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Basically it's a Germanic (Dutch, largely but not completely Frisian) setting with a slight Greek influence but no Romance or Celtic language contact. Oh and, West Germanic in a world with no Norse. I make life easy on myself, uh huh.

There can be no Hannes or Joord cause there's no direct biblical reference in this place. All Germanic-Pagan, though they traded with the Greeks and have had Northern Saami as a (somewhat) contact language. I have a Jahn, but the derivation of the name is not biblical, it's from Northern Saami Jahki. I might change it if it's setting up confused expectations too badly.

So Tjaard (changed for extra Frisian-ness to Tjaarde, which I think makes the "tard" association less?) would be hanging out with Reinier and Voss, getting screwed over by Heumber, and getting Dieter out of trouble; but his sister is Katrein and his niece is (guess this etymology!) Zanfrid.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I know, back to names...

I realized I have to rename my MC (fantasy story) away from Maarten, since that's too Roman in derivation. I've been considering Tjaard, which is a Dutch/Frisian name, but... obviously it's non-English spelling.

So I was wondering how much it'd bother people.

I guess I could spell it Tyaard or Tiaard, but those look really really wrong for Dutch names.

I'm sort of looking for good Germanic names that sound like Fantasy NamesTM, since it's an alternate-Holland fantasy :)

Pold. Franz. Hanz. Bart. ( :) ) Yunic. Juhn.

If you like it, you have permission to use my universal paladin name - Tholomar.

Those suggestions aside (I really like #4), I don't think the name Tjaard would make me stumble too much. I've seen stranger names in published works--but to be completely honest, they were always ridiculous books that didn't take themselves seriously. I'm specifically thinking of the MYTH INC books, with Skeeve and Ahz, though I'm fairly sure I've seen some downright weird names in the Xanth series.

ETA

I really think you should stick with Maartin. The extra A lets me know I'm in a different culture without making me think too hard about what I'd call him in English.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Sticking just to the name part of your question, Tjaard looks fine. You're stuck with using j for the [j] phone because, well, it's Germanic.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I like it. I've worked a lot with names and many of them including a 'j' are really neat as far as I'm concerned.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Pold. Franz. Hanz. Bart. ( :) ) Yunic. Juhn.

I suppose Bart is actually possible, being Greek, but female names tend to spread more than male names in a patriarchal society. So I'd rather keep to good old Germanic for my male names.

Since I'm playing in an alternate our-world, I really need to be careful with the history of the names I choose. They need to be possible, and evoke the right ideas rather than the wrong ones.

I really think you should stick with Maartin. The extra A lets me know I'm in a different culture without making me think too hard about what I'd call him in English.

Yeah, but this all started when I realized that Maarten is derived from Mars, and I am playing in a world with no Roman Empire effects up in northern Europe and (I'm pretty sure) no Roman Empire at all, but an Alexandrian one, down south.

So I simply can't use it. Thus, alternatives :)
As of today I'm renaming him, two major supporting characters, and two antagonists. Wheeee!

Paichka

The BIC-Believer
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but this all started when I realized that Maarten is derived from Mars, and I am playing in a world with no Roman Empire effects up in northern Europe and (I'm pretty sure) no Roman Empire at all, but an Alexandrian one, down south.

Crap.

/Pai suddenly realizes she paid NO attention to what she was naming her people, and she doesn't have a Roman Empire, either.

Or a Bible.

*wince*

The amount of effort you put into your world is so impressive, Shweta. You're my con-worlding hero. :)

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I think it would be better as Djaard.

After all, english already has the dj sound, as in 'budge.' however, what does a tj sound like? If my english-massacring friend were to read your book, how would he pronounce it?

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I like Tjaard. I assumed (apparently correctly) that it was pronounced "Ti-yaard", and that isn't difficult to do.

Now if you wanted to really be obnoxious, you could do the Obnoxious Vowel Apostrophe Fantasy Name, like "T'jhaar-ad'h".

But then we'd have to poke you with something sharp.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I like it ( and I guessed how to pronounce it correctly, yay!)

However I can see some people might have problems with it. Mr Huff up thread is probably right -- it may end up getting misread as Tard, or people who have trouble sounding it may just call him that.

How about...Raban, Adelmar. Or Hengist :)

Last edited:

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Hmm Ti-yaard?

wow my pronunciation would have been way off then. :D I would have run the sounds closer together so that the ti and y sound would almost have been one sound. If that makes any sense.

~grace~

the good old days
Registered
Reaction score
k I know nothing about your work...but is there some way the pronunciation/spelling could be mentioned? you say it's a Germanic setting, with Greek influences--could one of the Greek influences have to write it down and foul it up miserably?

or you can do a Hermione-Krum thing. (Goblet of Fire. at the ball.)

that may not work tho if your world is very much one culture and everyone would already know how to pronounce it.

oh yeah, and to actually answer your question...it would not trip me up at all to have a name I might not necessarily pronounce properly. I actually like the way it looks (visual person).

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
I have an Egyptian character named Ujahorresnet. Who am I to cast aspersions? :) To me, Tjaard (or Tjaarde) fits well with your other names, and I wouldn't give it a second glance. In my mind, I'd pronounce it "Tyard."

Best,

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.