Your Favorite Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelSt

Just Another Writer
Registered
Reaction score
What are some of your favorite sci-fi characters or character types?

Imagine a small space ship, a pirate vessel if you will, with room for a crew of thirty but running with a crew of only about eight. I've created the primary ensemble of officers from the ship's captain on down to tactical systems officer or gunner but then -- what? I need two or three more characters. And, to confound matters, each crew member should have both a primary assignment and one or more secondary ones. Like say, the gunner also repairs the plumbing and so on.

Does anyone have any serious ideas?

Michael, has too many manuscripts to track, in Seattle.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
If I were to write a military science fiction novel, most front-line military spacecraft would be highly unlikely to have human personnel for a vast numbers of reasons. Therefore, such ships wouldn't have a "captain" or "gunner" or "tactical systems officer".

But there might be crewed ships traveling with the fleet's supply chain which are tasked with troubleshooting and repairs the ship AI can't carry out on their own :)

So, most of my characters would be engineers, some specialized and others interdisciplinary. There would probably be some high-level strategic officers directing top-level stuff, but not much else.

Think futuristic EE/CS grads!

Last edited:

~grace~

the good old days
Registered
Reaction score
I always need a Wash.

FRF05GA_2_22.jpg

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think all spaceship crews must have an ornery old man that no one likes and yet is indispensable, or an ornery old man that everyone loves and yet is useless. Someone who is essentially to neurotic too function is also great fun. Some great characters IMHO:

Noisy Rhysling from Heinlein's Green Hills Of Earth-lovable yet useless
Gully Foyle from Bester's The Stars My Destination-awesome yet sociopathic
Robinette Broadhead from Pohl's Gateway-neurotic yet lovable
any Philip K. Dick protagonist-100% paranoid intellectual
Coyote from Robinson's Red Mars Trilogy-weird, dangerous, possibly imaginary stowaway
Dave Lister from Red Dwarf (TV show and also books)-filthy and useless yet lovable space bum

I also enjoy:
a guy who can repair or jury-rig anything on the ship, from your space boots to the garbage disposal to the warp drive, a sort of space macguyver
a guy who is constantly stirring up sh** with everybody on board
two people carrying on a secret affair
female crew members who are more than sex on legs for their male counterparts
an alien whose biology/culture clashes with his crewmates'

to me, the jobs are less important to the narrative than the actual personalities and motivations. i don't want to see someone unclogging the space latrines, i want to see him limping back to his cabin after a long day of unclogging the space latrines and overhearing his superiors plotting a mutiny.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Always needs more brash, loudmouthed, authority-bucking hotshot with nothing to lose and everything to prove.

starbuck_l.jpg

My hero.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Imagine a small space ship, a pirate vessel if you will, with room for a crew of thirty but running with a crew of only about eight. I've created the primary ensemble of officers from the ship's captain on down to tactical systems officer or gunner but then -- what? I need two or three more characters. And, to confound matters, each crew member should have both a primary assignment and one or more secondary ones. Like say, the gunner also repairs the plumbing and so on.

Does anyone have any serious ideas?
Ever been in the navy? No? Neither have I. But look. You take a boat out on the ocean (with or without a pony), and you have a problem. Pick one or more: The waves don't stop, the wind changes direction, the enemy is relentless, there are reefs without light houses...etc. So you need a large (and capable) enough crew to work the boat giving time for others to eat, wash, sleep, etc. In the Navy, with a large enough crew that's usually on the order of 8 hours on, 16 hours off. Sometimes, it's 12/12. At any rate, there are duty watches and off-duty watches.

Now take a small space ship (with or without an alien) out into the middle of the Galaxy, traveling at 3x light speed and you have some very similar problems. Make up your own list. They don't get to drop anchor and wait till the crew is refreshed by a good night's sleep and has had their morning latte.

You have a crew of eight. Fine. At least one (according to your list) is the commanding officer. He/she gets to sleep 1/3 of the time. So out of every day, there is no "boss" on the bridge. Who's in charge then? When the tactical officer is in bed, who's manning the weaponry? The deck swab? Think about any of the Star Trek shows. It's hard to recall any episode where there is a 2nd string or 3rd string crew manning the Enterprise while Picard, Riker, Geordi, (Kirk, Sulu, Spock) sleep. Or who's on the bridge running the joint when Picard and Riker are trapped in a 20th century gumshoe drama on the holodeck?

Having a small crew may be nice for your story but consider how they run the ship 24/7.

Here's how I'd do it, I think:
Captain: In charge of everything. Can pilot, navigate, man guns, repair hull punctures, etc., but usually delegates those tasks to others.

Executive officer (vice captain, lieutenant, etc): 2nd in command. A copy of the captain as regards abilities.

Navigators: Two. One on duty, one off duty.

Pilots: Two. One on duty, one off duty.

Engineers: Two. One on duty, one off duty. One can be expert, but the other must be very capable.

Tactician: One. This guy/gal aims the weapons, sets the fuses, keeps the armament working.

Cook: One. He is the brunt of humor by the rest of the crew. Fun character, but again, we're out of people. So everyone cooks, and some are better, some worse.​

Whups. I just identified ten characters. Your story takes place on a ship designed for a crew of 30--so my 10 is reasonable to work three rotating shifts--and demands it be operated by only eight crew members. No problem: just double up. Maybe navigation is automatic. Maybe the captain pilots the boat. Maybe everyone cooks (some good, some not so good--great device for humor).

Hope this helps.
Peter

Last edited:

VoltShadow

Internet Ninja of 1337
Registered
Reaction score
^ Good calls. Captain and Lieutenant are needed. Tactician is good. Definetly need the Ace Pilot and his Side Kick, then the Navigator (The Navi should be able too cook, or should have some form of grappling hook. No, scratch the grappling hook, should only cook.)

Status
Not open for further replies.