How many is too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

txgrl

Registered
Reaction score
How many mythical creatures can you have before they start to take away from the story?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IDK, Jim Butcher manages to completely stuff his books with them and they don't detract at all.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
really depends on how much face time you give them or description along with a host of other factors. In my one world there are so many creatures I don't give them all names or even very long descriptions because the point is there are too many to know. And the MC isn't all that knowledgeable about them in the first place.

Makai_Lightning

Love Addict
Registered
Reaction score
This is another case of there being too many variables to be able to give you a set number. Longer works can incorperate more than shorter works, and give them more description. Shorter works can give each minimal description, but still technically have more, just as minor details rather than epic staring creatures. Your ability to portray them and portray them as different creatures is another factor. If you mean as main characters, then it depends on how many characters you and your readers will be able to handle, how many you have to have, how focused you want to get for any one, a lot of things.

We can't really give you an answer. I'm not even sure if you mean how many creatures in the form of details, minor characters, major characters, scene, or anything else, like a myth.

txgrl

Registered
Reaction score

But isn't that the meaning of life?

This is another case of there being too many variables to be able to give you a set number. Longer works can incorporate more than shorter works, and give them more description. Shorter works can give each minimal description, but still technically have more, just as minor details rather than epic staring creatures. Your ability to portray them and portray them as different creatures is another factor. If you mean as main characters, then it depends on how many characters you and your readers will be able to handle, how many you have to have, how focused you want to get for any one, a lot of things.

We can't really give you an answer. I'm not even sure if you mean how many creatures in the form of details, minor characters, major characters, scene, or anything else, like a myth.

I don't really know where I'm going with my story yet, so let's narrow it down to:
The MC knows them on a personal level, or is on a first name basis with. . .

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
As long as the creatures have a point and aren't just thrown in the background for flavor, I'll take as many as you give me.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I have an issue when I need a reverse-lookup table to find out what I'm reading about.

If the book has an appendix, then we have a problem :)

Faolmor

My eyes! It burns!
Registered
Reaction score
As long as every time they're introduced, your characters don't all point and go, "Hey, look! There's a really cool dogbear/owlfish/gatorsnake/catypus! Let's all look at how weird and different it is from the earth animals that were combined to create it!"

As long as it is environmentally appropriate, judiciously introduced and isn't used to remind the reader that they're reading a fantasy, use as many as you like :)

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score

Lion-horse

Manticore

Firebadger

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I'm count them as any other character. On the one hand, they'll be easier to distinguish--'Caraalalix, oh, she's the six-legged winged platapus, right?' On the other, they can sort of overwhelm your reader with strangeness. And too many characters will also overwhelm the reader.

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
Write your story. Include only what belongs in the story and has meaning in the story. That's the maximum number of creatures you should have.

Don't add a unicorn just because you happen to think they're cute and you hope the reader will agree.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
As many as the story needs. :D

The only requirement is they're necessary to the story. They can only overwhelm the story if they're not needed there. Like, it's nice to have a pretty garden of flowers in your yard, but the moment they burst out of their boundaries and take over all the grass and spill out into the road and cover the house, then you have more than you need, and you have too many.

If the creatures you have so far aren't overwhelming the story, and are fitting into their places, then I wouldn't worry.

I've got entire cultures of mythical creatures in my stories. :D

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I say go for the gusto, as long as your creatures don't have a lot of bizarre names the reader has to take notes on in order to keep up. I can't help but think about that bar scene in the first Star Wars movie. That was so cool! One of my favorite parts of the whole movie because of all the weird alien creatures together in one place. Ha! I can still hear the music: da DA da DA da dadadadadada da...

I have one scene in my book with a room -- a coffee shop to be exact -- filled with otherworldy beings from faerie. Most are the garden variety fae, however I throw in some unique chimeras and one of their "pets" that's a faerie version of a chameleon (it changes shape instead of color). That was loads of fun. But as others have already said, you just have to be careful not to overwhelm.

VoltShadow

Internet Ninja of 1337
Registered
Reaction score
It all depends on the type of story. If you're on an alien world on the otherside of the milkyway, I don't think having a dozen or so non Lion, Tiger and Bear creatures constitutes an "Oh My." If they aren't too relevant, don't dwell on them. If they are, feel free to develop, I'd say personally. It's up to you.

Mr. Fix

Fixed on the future...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Always look on the bright side of life...

But isn't that the meaning of life?

That's Monty Python!

I was referring to Douglas Adams, and that was not the question, now was it?

(And of course you will now ask... "And what was the question?" But then, you knew that answer already, didn't you?):ROFL:

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
That's Monty Python!

I was referring to Douglas Adams, and that was not the question, now was it?

ahem, just to be clear.

42 was the ANSWER to the question of the meaning of life, the universe and everything. Of course they didn't know the question. The Meaning of Life( Monty Python, the machine that goes PING!) is a separate subject.

and not coincidently, 42 is the reason I bought my house

ETA: alcohol may have influenced this post.

Last edited:

VoltShadow

Internet Ninja of 1337
Registered
Reaction score
ahem, just to be clear.

42 was the ANSWER to the question of the meaning of life, the universe and everything. Of course they didn't know the question. The Meaning of Life( Monty Python, the machine that goes PING!) is a separate subject.

and not coincidently, 42 is the reason I bought my house

ETA: alcohol may have influenced this post.

Now I've no idea what I intended to post. The topic is now far off subject. Humorous but far off subject.

txgrl

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so let me get this strait, the mythical creature count for a novel can be:

~stuffed if you happen to be Jim Butcher.
~It doesn't really matter, your MC probably won't know them all anyways.
~Less than 42.
~Around three before your audience not only had to pay for the book, but for a hole in their wall.
~Depends on the length of the story.
~Whatever as long as they have some point.
~Fewer than needed for an appendix/ reverse look up table.
~As long as they aren't mutilated earth animals you're fine.
~3 (including a loin-horse, a Manticore, and a Firebadger)
~Just look at them as another character you creature-ist!
~You have to keep them in line, once they step out of the garden they are gone!
~As long as they don't have bizarre names they can stay.
~As many as it takes.
~Drinking helps fluid writing.

I think the favorite though is 'As long as they don't take from the story'. Am I correct?

Last edited:

VoltShadow

Internet Ninja of 1337
Registered
Reaction score
Okay so let me get this strait, the mythical creature count for a novel can be:

~stuffed if you happen to be Jim Butcher.
~It doesn't really matter, your MC probably won't know them all anyways.
~Less than 42.
~Around three before your audience not only had to pay for the book, but for a hole in their wall.
~Depends on the length of the story.
~Whatever as long as they have some point.
~Fewer than needed for an appendix/ reverse look up table.
~As long as they aren't mutilated earth animals you're fine.
~3 (including a loin-horse, a Manticore, and a Firebadger)
~Just look at them as another character you creature-ist!
~You have to keep them in line, once they step out of the garden they are gone!
~As long as they don't have bizarre names they can stay.
~As many as it takes.
~Drinking helps fluid writing.

I think the favorite though is 'As long as they don't take from the story'. Am I correct?

I think that's the general consensus.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
3 out of 4 firebadgers agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.