So, I went to a yard sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
I found a 1978 hard cover of the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction for $10. I figured that was a good deal so I left pretty satisfied, until I went home and started to read Asimov's foreward... and noticed his hand-written signature at the end.

I wonder if these people even realized it? Surely they could've sold it for $20.

Last edited:

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Yeah, I love going to garage sales and thrift stores. I've found lots of treasures, including four issues of Astounding from the 1950s autographed by the cover artist, Kelly Freas! I keep hoping to find a Rembrant or Van Gogh some day. Sigh.

"The Weed of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit!"

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm too lazy to look up the link, but recently I bragged here that I got some glassware for $1.99 each--before my senior discount of 25%--that retail for $34 each. I bought eight.

It's odd how many sellers don't even try to look into the actual worth of whatever they're selling.

Maryn, rubbing her hands together like Scrooge McDuck

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Hubby sold a drum machine two years ago at our yard sale for $10. Found out it was worth $150 on eBay. He's still bitter.

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
I found a 1973 hard cover of the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction for $10. I figured that was a good deal so I left pretty satisfied, until I went home and started to read Asimov's foreward... and noticed his hand-written signature at the end.
That's cool. Their loss.

Last edited:

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just pretty stoked that I'm holding a copy that went through Isaac Asimov's hands. I will place this on a mantle and worship it forever.

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I love going to garage sales and thrift stores. I've found lots of treasures, including four issues of Astounding from the 1950s autographed by the cover artist
"The Weed of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit!"

That's awesome. I just saw a signed copy of Fantasy and Science Fiction by Stephen King on eBay for like $20. I'm always worried about the authenticity of eBay items, though.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I found a 1978 hard cover of the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction for $10. I figured that was a good deal so I left pretty satisfied, until I went home and started to read Asimov's foreward... and noticed his hand-written signature at the end.

I wonder if these people even realized it? Surely they could've sold it for $20.

Curious: Is it an authentic autograph, or a reprint of his autograph done specifically for that foreward?

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
Curious: Is it an authentic autograph, or a reprint of his autograph done specifically for that foreward?

I thought that, but I checked it out and it was hand-written. There are grain imprints and I can feel them on the back of the page.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I grabbed a copy of Perestroika from the lunch room at work and it had an inscription and signature in Russian, in pencil. It wasn't Gorbachev's signature, though. I checked.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
Good find.

My parents have a crate with Lindbergh's signature on it. My father was a book store own so he has tons of first editions with author's signatures in them. Neat stuff.

pointman

Registered
Reaction score
How come my used bookstores are only filled with dog-eared copies of "Readers Digest May 1984" and other equally lame items? :(

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
Good find.

My parents have a crate with Lindbergh's signature on it. My father was a book store own so he has tons of first editions with author's signatures in them. Neat stuff.

That's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.