is it real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chowmein

Registered
Reaction score
okay, most of the stuff that i write seems like pure fiction. most of it involves a demon or magic or both or something supernatural.... it could almost never happen on earth, and most people think im crazy when i say its not all fake. yes it could never happen, but its what i feel. i dont make things up, i just cant controll my imagination. like in school if someone bothers me, i lose my grip on reality and start writing or drawing.

i dont know why i wrote this.

anyone else have this...problem (or gift depending on your outlook)

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what you're getting at here, but I like when fantasy is portrayed in a plausible manner, if that makes sense. Less fiery unicorns shooting rainbow lightning from their horns, please.

For me, a little bit of magic here and there makes for a more interesting tale than magic everywhere.

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
If I read you right, you're saying (a) that your stories seem to come out of nowhere, and (b) you've noticed yourself writing as a response to difficulty. And you're somewhat worried about this, or at least want to know if it's normal. Am I correct?

(a) is absolutely normal and not a problem. You have probably read some of us griping about dumb questions, and "Where do you get your ideas?" is usually listed as a dumb question. Why? 'Cause a lot of us aren't exactly sure where we get our ideas. A dream and a sentence and something we thought about last month fuse together all of the sudden, and the resulting chimera moves into our brain, rearranges all the furniture, and won't go away until we make a story.

(The other reason many writers think this question is a dumb one: contrary to popular belief, ideas are not the most important part of creating a story. That would be the TIC factor—Tuchus In Chair.)

(b) is also not a problem unless it becomes a problem . . . you know, that sentence made a whole lot more sense in my head. It's like this. Say some teacher gives you flack about something that's not your fault—being late because there were people necking in front of your locker, getting a cold and disrupting the class by sneezing every five seconds, something stupid like that. By this time, you pretty much know you have to pick your battles, and your best option is probably to say, "I'm sorry, Mr. Whatsis, I'll do better next time." And then, if you can't stop stewing, you write something about a phantasm from another dimension, and the person who saves the day is the savvy nerd who actually bothers to listen to the being rather than popping off and making stupid assumptions . . .

That's okay. You might even get something pretty good out of it. The problem would be if this is your only problem-solving method, or if it was taking over your life, or if you get caught doing it in class and get in any sort of major trouble. (Yeah, I did that. But stealthily.) If writing becomes your only possible way of coping with stress, if it becomes a compulsion rather than a pleasure, then you have a problem on your hands. (Of course, the problem might just be a much-higher-than-optimum level of stress . . . I've done that one too.)

As for friends thinking you're crazy, that's just a matter of finding the right explanation. "It's real," creates entirely the wrong impression. Try, "Yeah, it's fantasy, but I don't write it unless it feels right." Or, "I don't make it up, exactly. I just write what happens inside my head."

Izunya

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Just say it is real if you're in the right quantum reality.

But then you'll have to explain the multiple reality theory of quantum mechanics...might take a while.

Maybe buisness cards with the theory written on them?

Either way, I agree with what the above poster said! I do the same thing, myself...that or play video games. Nothing like writing some good romance or decapitating someone in Age of Conan to make me feel good about life once more.

But don't let stress relievers take over your life any more than you should let stress win out.

Needs to be a balance.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
In a way, I believe in the reality of the fiction I write. It's not something that exists right here in the real world...but it does have a form of existence. Even if it's simply the thoughts that it exists in, that's a sort of reality. And who's to say such things can't happen in some place we don't know of?

IMO, most fiction comes about from somewhere, some circumstances, inside, which we might not even know about, but it's there. How "real" these circumstances, and the writing that results from them, are isn't for me to say.

And that's all I will say to avoid looking insane. :)

chowmein

Registered
Reaction score
If I read you right, you're saying (a) that your stories seem to come out of nowhere, and (b) you've noticed yourself writing as a response to difficulty. And you're somewhat worried about this, or at least want to know if it's normal. Am I correct?

(a) is absolutely normal and not a problem. You have probably read some of us griping about dumb questions, and "Where do you get your ideas?" is usually listed as a dumb question. Why? 'Cause a lot of us aren't exactly sure where we get our ideas. A dream and a sentence and something we thought about last month fuse together all of the sudden, and the resulting chimera moves into our brain, rearranges all the furniture, and won't go away until we make a story.

(The other reason many writers think this question is a dumb one: contrary to popular belief, ideas are not the most important part of creating a story. That would be the TIC factor—Tuchus In Chair.)

(b) is also not a problem unless it becomes a problem . . . you know, that sentence made a whole lot more sense in my head. It's like this. Say some teacher gives you flack about something that's not your fault—being late because there were people necking in front of your locker, getting a cold and disrupting the class by sneezing every five seconds, something stupid like that. By this time, you pretty much know you have to pick your battles, and your best option is probably to say, "I'm sorry, Mr. Whatsis, I'll do better next time." And then, if you can't stop stewing, you write something about a phantasm from another dimension, and the person who saves the day is the savvy nerd who actually bothers to listen to the being rather than popping off and making stupid assumptions . . .

That's okay. You might even get something pretty good out of it. The problem would be if this is your only problem-solving method, or if it was taking over your life, or if you get caught doing it in class and get in any sort of major trouble. (Yeah, I did that. But stealthily.) If writing becomes your only possible way of coping with stress, if it becomes a compulsion rather than a pleasure, then you have a problem on your hands. (Of course, the problem might just be a much-higher-than-optimum level of stress . . . I've done that one too.)

As for friends thinking you're crazy, that's just a matter of finding the right explanation. "It's real," creates entirely the wrong impression. Try, "Yeah, it's fantasy, but I don't write it unless it feels right." Or, "I don't make it up, exactly. I just write what happens inside my head."

Izunya

as for you response to a:
glad to know someone else has the same problems. specificly the one line inspiring something.
it was a line in a song. we had to write a paper in english about the poe toaster. i couldn't think of what to write. i listened to music (the specific song was Miss Murder) and one line, 'so whats the hook the twist within this verbose mystery' got me a 100 on the paper (the only 100 anyone got on a written paper she gave)

and as for b:
its good advice, but not for me. i get ignored by everyone. and my teachers either i know too well and dont care if i do stupid stuff, or am late....or even to the point where my freind and i got in a play fight and were biting each other and dont do anything. OR my teachers hate me cause im the smart ass that ignores them and then when the test comes around, everyone get an 87 with a curved grade, and i get a 100. in which case, they just ignore me like my classmates who hate me cause im the opposite of them.
and the savvy nerd thing is kinda ironic. thats what i am (except math and a foreign language)

this probably makes no sense. whether is just doesnt or i worded stuff weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.