Markets/resources?

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Hi all,

I'm compiling a list of markets that accept animal-related articles and essays, and I've also got a few good resources I'd like to share. I know we have folks here write about cats, dogs, birds, horses, and wild animals. Anybody else want to chime in and tell us what animals you write about? And if you have any good markets you'd like to share, by all means post them and I'll put them in the list. Rose has already posted info about a few, and so has Reece. Thanks. :)

Oh, I almost forgot! If anyone is interested in writing animal/pet books, I have a list of contact info for book publishers.

As soon as I can get my stupid computer to stop eating my documents, I'll post a list! Visual C++ runtime errors/abnormal program terminations, anyone? Grrrrr.......

Last edited:

GHF65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah!

Oooo! Me! Me!

I'd love the contact info for animal book publishers. I know they're listed in Writer's Market, but the info is outdated almost before it arrives at the door.

Abnormal program terminations? How often do you clean your drives? Did you write the programs yourself?

I've done my stint as tech support for my high school, so if there's anything I can do to help, let me know. Most of the runtime errors I've come across were software conflict issues. Norton's antivirus programs have a tendency to be major players in that arena. Pop-up blockers will also conflict, as will (as I just discovered the hard way) firewalls.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
One book publisher coming up.

Here ya go: http://www.barronseduc.com/info.html

That's my publisher and they're very cool. Scroll down the page a bit to see the guidelines. You can also look to the left and see the book categories. Browse around a bit and see if they've published something like what you have in mind. Good luck should you decide to pitch them. :)

I'll gather some others soon and get them in here, as well.

Thanks for the offer of help with the computer probs! Will try to get back with some educated questions. :D

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
I looked at Barron's and it looks very interesting, but the only thing I couldn't find was any discussion about payment. Awatkins, thanks for the lead, but can you tell us where to learn how they pay their authors?

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Hi Denise,

I found out payment details when they offered me a contract and we discussed the terms. They offer a split advance, half on signing of the contract, the rest after the project is completed. Then you receive royalties after the advance is earned back.

Seems like Writer's Market says they offer advances of around $2,500 to $3,000, but I can't remember for sure. (Anybody have a recent copy?) I suppose it depends on your project, since they publish books of different lengths and formats. If they are interested in buying your book, you can iron all that out then. :)

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again, Anne!

Do they welcome direct contact, or is the intervention of an agent necessary? I do see in the guidelines that they are open to queries, but is that reality or just fluff?

I'd love to have a little incentive to finish the next two books. Right now I'm suffering Writer's Funk, a little-known syndrome brought on by Rejection Overdose.

Last edited:

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Schoolmarm said:
Do they welcome direct contact, or is the intervention of an agent necessary? I do see in the guidelines that they are open to queries, but is that reality or just fluff?

Right now I'm suffering Writer's Funk, a little-known syndrome brought on by Rejection Overdose.

Hi there!

No, they don't require that you have an agent, and yes, they really do invite queries! It has been my experience that they are very-writer friendly, easy to work with, and very approachable. I highly recommend them.

Rejection Overdose. Seems like I've heard of that. ;)

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Hi Anne - ok, it's a little late, I'm a little fatigued, but I have a list somewhere of a bunch of the animal mags that I found on one of the writer ezine websites. I'll hunt for second and see if I can find it then post it. jill

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
City + Country Pets Magazine

From their web site:

"Until further notice, City + Country Pets Magazine is no longer accepting unsolicited articles."

Looks like they prefer queries, but I and and other freelancers have noticed that this publication is either waaaaaay slow to respond, or does not respond at all. Just a heads-up. If you have a different experience, please let us know.

~ Anne

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
City & Country Pets hasn't accepted unsolicited articles for some time. I think I last tried them about a year ago, and that was the response I got. They were pretty quick about it. They shot me down by return email! :horse:

Joanne

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Whole Dog Journal

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this question...Anne W., please tell me if it should be moved!
Has anyone worked with Whole Dog Journal (www.whole-dog-journal.com)? I requested guidelines in Sep of 2004 and again a few weeks ago, but to no avail. I haven't heard a peep.

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Dog mags - pay rates

A quick review of my spreadsheet seems to indicate most dog magazines pay around $0.10 word...or less! Dog World is up to $0.50/word, so that's better. Does anyone know a dog article market that pays an average of $0.25/word and up? How about pay rates for these pubs in particular:

Whole Dog Journal?

Animal Fair? I requested guidelines about three weeks ago, but haven't heard anything.

The Bark? Their guidelines say their pay rates vary, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows what their *average* rates are. They also say response time to queries is 8-10 months. Yes, MONTHS! Yikes.

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
No, I've hit a road block with these markets. I'll keep digging, though!

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com

GHF65

Registered
Reaction score
FINALLY! It's so hard to find an animal book publisher that takes horse stuff. I can't wait to submit my proposal! Thanks, Anne.

Joanne