Teleportation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm writing a movie script about a teleportation machine gone wrong. It is teleporting alien lifeforms and alien environments across the Earth. Basically the main character's friend is responsble for the teleportation machine problem. I'm having a problem trying to figure out what goes wrong with the macine and how it works. Suggestions?

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
It probably involves quantum entanglement in some way. And it could go wrong by having the particles entangled with something unexpected.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
You've everything in time and space to furk up the works: anything from a blackhole burping and disrupting the transmission to a roach equivalent chewing the insulation on the wires and shorting things out.

Thinking theoretical here: Inside the 'porting unit you have the item to send--and atmosphere--the latter is a melange of gases and particles of all sorts of air-borne thingies from dust to germs--anything can muck up the works.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
5th dimensional terrorists!

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I'm having a problem trying to figure out what goes wrong with the macine and how it works. Suggestions?
  • the machinery is ancient, and calibration is gradually drifting
  • operators don't fully understand how to work it
  • the machinery operates not on bodies but on souls -- and these 'aliens' are actually reincarnated humans
  • a component is damaged or broken
  • it's evidence that time or space in the universe is becoming damaged
  • it isn't a teleportation device but a trojan horse supporting an alien invasion
  • it's a sentient device and it's mad, senile, has been bribed or is playing a joke
  • the machinery has been hacked by aliens seeking to use it for their own purposes
  • it is actually a cheap, discarded knockoff of a proper teleportation device
  • the failure is as designed: it's actually run by subscription service after a 30 day free trial
  • it's a shareware demo with a spatial virus
  • it's beta; you have to buy the upgrade
  • it's experimental, and someone wants it back

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a movie script about a teleportation machine gone wrong. It is teleporting alien lifeforms and alien environments across the Earth. Basically the main character's friend is responsble for the teleportation machine problem. I'm having a problem trying to figure out what goes wrong with the macine and how it works. Suggestions?

Idea 1: The machine decontructs the matter and sends it in invisible streams very quickly across great distances, then reconstructs it at the next site. I believe this is how Star Trek worked, though I'm not sure. You can create havoc where things reconstruct strangely or not at all.

Idea 2: The machine "phases" the whole body/object into another dimension and then jets it to a waiting teleporter. Maybe there are beings in this other dimension that capture such bodies/objects as they are in this vulnerable state and then do X with them. They might have machines that divert paths to them like a fish net.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The aliens are not as intelligent as humans. They're just animals, who live by their own basic instinct. And they find new taste in humans, earth animals, and earth plants.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone doing anything with teleports or time machines MUST play Original War, which has BY FAR, the best time machine mindscrewery ever. Americans go back in time to the Ice Age to steal an amazing mineral from Siberia so the Russians can't get it and now America is a big evil empire and the oppressed Russian people steal the time machine so they can stop the original Americans, which reverts the time line back to normal, sorta, and then the Arabian terrorists show up too cause they want to destroy the mineral to protect their oil interests and in the end a third party faction called the Alliance decides to end the war by getting everyone to work together.

Now say that REALLY FAST and it gets fun!

But, back to the more ontopic idea of teleports!

Teleports are a ton of fun...and most ideas I could think up have already been suggested, but I would like to re-say the 5th dimensional terrorists.

Cuase...come on, you can't get better than that.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This is basically a science fiction disaster movie.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I got an idea. It's based on a theory of how black holes are born. The machine has a particle accelerator, which slams particles into a main particle. When all the other particles are fuse into the main particle, it creates a wormhole kind like a black hole, because it feeds on light sourse to grow and remain working. Basically the hole, known as the Nexus, breaks down an object into smaller matter and sucks it through the sub space tunnel to the alien planet, which the scienctists discovered by a space probe. So in the test, the characters successfully created their own star gate, but here's the problem. They can't close it, or they don't know how yet. Because of the facility's light sourse, the Nexus begins to expand, while sending alien life forms to Earth. After the characters escape, the Nexus kept growing and growing, until it almost cover half the sky. But it's still going to grow, until it covers the entire Earth, bringing about a dark age. And the Earth will soon become a new planet with all the alien creatures and new land masses on it, which will bring an end to the human race and Earth animals. That's how the machine works, and that's how the problem occurs. Now how would the main character solve this problem?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Now how would the main character solve this problem?

Who's the main character?

A physicist would solve a problem different than a downtrodden beat cop. You're good at presenting a situation, Miles, but you rarely seem to focus on the characters in those situations. The solution will come out of the characters you thrust into this "problem."

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Who's the main character?

A physicist would solve a problem different than a downtrodden beat cop. You're good at presenting a situation, Miles, but you rarely seem to focus on the characters in those situations. The solution will come out of the characters you thrust into this "problem."

I got it! the MC is Heinlein and he is trying to teleport himself into
the body of a woman.

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha! Anyways, the main character is one of the designers of the machine. He's the one, who figures out the problem.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Well how can you close a black hole?
By definition of a black hole, you can't. But maybe you don't need to close it, eh? Just stop going so close to it that you fall in.

It's kinda like if you were a sabre toothed tiger and figured out that to survive, you'd have to avoid the tar pit. Or, after watching your sister burn the crap out of her palm on the stove, you don't touch the dang stove.

Failing all that, perhaps you should give your protagonist a ticket on the next inter-planetary flight so he can get the hell out of there before the hole sucks up the whole Earth. (Which would take, I think, about 2.37645 nanoseconds.)

Seriously, Miles: It's your story. You get to make up the problem and you get to make up the solution to solving it. You've more than adequately demonstrated that you can dream up some doozy problems--but it is still your job to dream up the solutions to them. :D

MilesGX

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I think for the solution, the worm hole has to collapse in order to close. The main character builds a special kind of bomb and sends it into the worm hole. And the problem is solve.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
I think for the solution, the worm hole has to collapse in order to close. The main character builds a special kind of bomb and sends it into the worm hole. And the problem is solve.

I think there was a Stargate episode very similar to this. The team opened a gate to a system where a black hole was forming, they couldn't close the gate because of it, and all sorts of fun things began to happen like time dialation in the control room, etc.

Anywho, if I read correctly, the machine is "powered" by a black hole. You can "bleed" off the gravity of the black hole into a higher dimension, eventually weakening it to the point it could no longer support the wormhole.

Do some reaseach into "Why is gravity so weak".

Of course that is going to take you into string theory and submanifolds and all that fun stuff and might end up being more trouble than just "scientist uses 'x' amount of 'y' crystal to create 'z' explosion which closes the gate." :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.