Fantasy Author

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I have a historical novel I think I need to rewrite and turning it into Fantasy seems to be one approach.
I've read SciFi for as long as I can remember but am unsure what the current Fantasy market it.
An suggestions of who I should read to see where it's at?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
China Mieville
Jeff Vandermeer
Steven Erikson
Neil Gaiman
Scott Lynch
george r.r. martin
lois mcmaster bujold
this is a very short list of people who have been very popular in the last four years or so (award-winning, best selling, or fan favorite). If you aren't well versed in fantasy i will just tell you that medieval-setting, tolkien-grave-robbing is deader than this parrot. or if it's not, it oughta be.

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
If you are combining a historical with fantasy/SF and are aiming at some type of romance, you might look at Fangs, Fur and Fey which is written by a group of paranormal writers.

http://community.livejournal.com/fangs_fur_fey/

To get a broad overview, go to a bookstore and see for yourself what's in the section. You might also look in the Romance and Young Adults sections since they include a lot of fantasy as a mixed sub-genre.

Don't have a bookstore close? Visit Amazon.com and the online Barnes and Noble and do the above search. You also should goggle for SF/fantasy blogs and professional organizations. Another, place to look is the agents who accept fantasy/SF blogs who often mention their likes and dislikes.

It's a lot of research, but if you want to sell what you write, you must know the market where you sell.

Above all, heed Kitty Pryde's advice: "medieval-setting, tolkien-grave-robbing" is dead, dead, dead ... until someone can come up with a new twist on the buddy quest to save the world. The odds are this person is not you or me. But, then my first three books (unsold) are about elves.

Good luck.

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
Addenda

One of the agent blogs I enjoy most is Colleen Lindsay at Fine Print (I think).
Her submission guidelines give a great overview of some of the types of fantasy currently being marketed. (You'll notice my elves don't have a slug's chance on a salt flat.)

http://theswivet.blogspot.com/2007/01/submission-guidelines.html

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice. That's the next project on my agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.