NewcomenSteamPunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I was wondering about an earlier type of steampunk. Say late 18th, early 19th...before steam engines became non-atmospheric in terms of pressure.

You could have hot air balloons, massive batteries, visual signaling, windmills, clockwork time bombs...

But there would be some very inefficient steam engines around.

Maybe the genre could be called "Inefficient Steampunk"
or "Atmospheric Steam Pump Punk" or just "Steam Pump Punk"...

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I was wondering about an earlier type of steampunk. Say late 18th, early 19th...before steam engines became non-atmospheric in terms of pressure.

You could have hot air balloons, massive batteries, visual signaling, windmills, clockwork time bombs...

But there would be some very inefficient steam engines around.

Maybe the genre could be called "Inefficient Steampunk"
or "Atmospheric Steam Pump Punk" or just "Steam Pump Punk"...

Sorry. Wrong steam engine. I meant "Newcomen"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Newcomen

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I think it'd be post-clockpunk pre-steampunk :)

How about NeoProtoSteamPostClockPunk?
wheeee! Names are fun!

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Does now. But does it mean what we want to name here, or would it be a world where Napoleon doesn't lose? :D

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Does now. But does it mean what we want to name here, or would it be a world where Napoleon doesn't lose? :D

This reminds me to an idea I had about making a sci-fi novel about the first Time Travel... and everytime the MC went back, he changed something without noticing on his return becoming someone else totally diferent. (For example, he starts on the labs of the Pentagon and when he goes and returns he thinks he hasn't changed anything since for him that's the history that has happened but we see is that now WWI never happened, Germany and England are the same empire and he is German with a steampunk flavor)

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me to an idea I had about making a sci-fi novel about the first Time Travel... and everytime the MC went back, he changed something without noticing on his return becoming someone else totally diferent. (For example, he starts on the labs of the Pentagon and when he goes and returns he thinks he hasn't changed anything since for him that's the history that has happened but we see is that now WWI never happened, Germany and England are the same empire and he is German with a steampunk flavor)

A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury.

Status
Not open for further replies.