Expressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterDusk14

Non-savvy tech writer
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a fantasy novel, and somehow I am finding some difficulty in writing some expressions. I mean, phrases like, "The die has been cast!", "He's our shaved knuckle in the hole". Any suggestions that I may use, or tips on how to construct some effectively? Thanks in advance.^^

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Think about things that are familiar to your characters from their everyday lives and go from there. e.g for farmers instead of 'the die is cast' use something like 'the field is ploughed'

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
I am writing a fantasy novel, and somehow I am finding some difficulty in writing some expressions. I mean, phrases like, "The die has been cast!", "He's our shaved knuckle in the hole". Any suggestions that I may use, or tips on how to construct some effectively? Thanks in advance.^^

You could have characters from different backgrounds who don't understand each other's expressions.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
"He's our shaved knuckle in the hole".

See I was going to try and be helpful, but I can't get past that. WTF is a shaved knuckle in the hole? It sounds very very rude.

Other than that, find things that are unique to your fantasy world, and play around with them ( in your character's voices if you can) to see what turns up.

ie: instead of the die has been cast, does your world have some other type of game? How does this game start? Bingo, there you have your phrase.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
WTF is a shaved knuckle in the hole? It sounds very very rude.
Actually, I'm intrigued :e2brows:

But seriously. WinterDusk14 has exposed him/herself as a fan of Steven Erikson. Characters in his shared Malazan universe use this phrase to describe a certain black wizard. I like the books, too, so I recognized it immediately. Basically, it's a variation on "ace in the hole".

Which is also rather dirty if you think about it.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You're kinky SP.

I might have to give you a lick

*lick*

I thought it might be a variation of Ace in the hole, but it sounded like something else entirely....Mind you if you have to shave your knuckles, I'm probably not going to want your knuckles anywhere near me!

WinterDusk14

Non-savvy tech writer
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. But I just had to laugh. Come to think about it, it does sound dirty. lol. Yep, its from Malazan, I think it was Fid, or Kalam talking about Ben being their "shaved knuckle in the hole".

Anyhow, thanks for the tip. At least now I know which way to go.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
You're kinky SP.

I might have to give you a lick

*lick*
Why thank you. Careful or I'll lick you back.

I thought it might be a variation of Ace in the hole, but it sounded like something else entirely....Mind you if you have to shave your knuckles, I'm probably not going to want your knuckles anywhere near me!
I don't shave my knuckles, but I do trim my fingernails regularly...

At least now I know which way to go.
Yeah. waylander's advice is ideal, and the example you gave is instructive. Erikson adapted the "ace in the hole" saying to his universe, where they play the game of "knuckles", which is like dice. He carried the adaptation further, using the concept of "shaved dice" to cheat. Using Quick Ben is definitely cheating, ain't it? ;)

Think along those lines and you're golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.