Status
Not open for further replies.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
Anyone ever had a short story that just won't work? I've got this one short that I've been working on - a great concept and most of it flows well, but in the end it just doesn't "feel" right. I had submitted it to a couple of places but just withdrew it. If it's not working for me, I doubt it will work for anyone else. What's the solution? Put it away for a month or two until I can get a fresh perspective?​

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Put it away, but keep it in mind. I suspect the 'real' ending will come , maybe tommorrow, maybe a year or so from now. And you'll slap your forehead and say 'of course! why didn't I think of that earlier!'

There is no such thing as a dead work. Just one that needs more work.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone ever had a short story that just won't work? I've got this one short that I've been working on - a great concept and most of it flows well, but in the end it just doesn't "feel" right. I had submitted it to a couple of places but just withdrew it. If it's not working for me, I doubt it will work for anyone else. What's the solution? Put it away for a month or two until I can get a fresh perspective?​

Yeah, look away for a bit.
Often the problem is something you've put in that "should" work, but doesn't. The problem may not be the end itself; it may be something you like earlier on that renders the story false.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I got it!! I took a nap and did some errands and then it came to me: the story ends outside in an abandoned village, but instead it needs to end in an abandoned mine, underground, where the two protagonists are trapped...

Of course it means I have to re-write the entire second half of it. Sigh. I was hoping to have this one done for the Chizine contest...

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I was thinking, I haven't ever had something like this happen, but then I just realized that I did! I started a short story a while back and plugged along before kind of tapering out and wondering, "Is there really a story here...?"

I think the reason is, in my case, I have a SITUATION, but not an actual PLOT to sustain a full story. It needs more conflict or...well, plot. I haven't worked on it in ages...though I hope to return to it someday! I guess I just have to let it simmer until a plot point should make its way along!

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I've had that happen too - it stinks!!! You start out with something neat and then, pfffttt. It fizzles. I hope that's not the case with this one. Go back and take another look at yours!!!!

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I've had similar problems. One was a story that just wouldn't end. I set it aside, and about a year later, I realized the ending--it was in an entirely different setting than I had started out with, though!

I've also written stories that I liked, but which weren't working as well as they could. I finished them anyway and hid them in a closet. A year later, I rewrote them.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
When I get this feeling, it's always due to a character arc, plot element or theme being either weak or incomplete.

My checklist:
  • Are objectives for all the major characters clear?
  • Has all opposition to these objectives been explored and resolved?
  • Have all conflicts been developed?
  • Has each major character either achieved its objective or reacted/changed to not having achieved its objective?
  • Are there any points of tension unaddressed or unresolved between characters?
  • Is each resolution consistent with the motives and values of each character?
  • Has any character changed along the way without explanation?
  • Have characters reacted appropriately and visibly to any disasters or climaxes?
  • Are there any glaring logic-holes or contradictions?
  • Have all key thematic points been made?
  • Are any outstanding thematic tensions resolved?

Status
Not open for further replies.