Road trip questions, including how to keep frozen food cold

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping to leave for Delaware on Sunday. As of now it looks conceivable. I'm in Oklahoma, so its a 22 hour drive, give or take. I plan on overnighting in Richmond, IN. So leave 8am one day and arrive 9pm the next day.

Problem 1: I froze 9L of water in various bottles. If I put all my food in a box, with these on the outside, and then all that in another box would it get to Delaware still frozen? Should I mix refriderated food with the frozens? (frozen to the inside). I know they make 3 day coolers but I could only buy one at this point.... And that would prolly house all my meals as I can NOT buy food on the way :( (Inless I see a veggie stand off the highway, lol)

Problem 2: After Richmond comes the mountains. Should I take 70 to 79 to 68 to get to the baltimore area or should I take 70 to 76 to 70 to 68? Or is there another route? And outta curiosity, what's the speed limit on these interstates?

Thats all I can think of for now. I've done road trips in the past, so I have some idea of what I'm getting into :)

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Bah, 22 hours is nothing.

The food should be ok as you've stated, frozen outside, etc. Keep the box in the car with you, not the trunk where it will be hotter. Keep it out of the sun of course. One thing, if you split up the food so there is more room between the packettes, you'll get better air flow around them and THAT'S what keeps things cold, chilling the air and allowing it to circulate to all parts of the food.

Pack it at the last moment, don't let any food get warmer first, be ready to put it in the car and go. Put any sodas or drinks in the house freezer for a half an hour, they will help cool down the air and not rob any cool away from the ice to start.

It probably won't be frozen by the next afternoon, you'll have chuncks of ice but a lot of melted water too. Maybe where you stay the night will have a small room fridge and freezer.

It's been rather cool and rainy around here lately so it will probably last longer toward the end of the trip actually.

As for directions, just do the google maps thing and take the simplest route, main roads only in case of emergency.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl and enter Oklahoma to Delaware. Says it's about 1539 miles and 23.5 hours.

Good luck and be safe.

Writer???

Because EYE said so!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Eeewww, you're right. I forgot about the sick nature of people, I could be trying to help a serial killer.

Forget everything I said, it won't work. I was just making it all up. Ice, never heard of the stuff. Don't use myself, heard it was toxic.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

Currently in my freezer is a steak, some chicken, some Better Lemon chicken, rice (don't ask), some veggies, lots of bread, and misc. No human parts. My fridge on the other hand, that's where I keep the toes of my former 'volunteers'

And dang it, turns out Monday is memorial day weekend. I wonder how screwed I'll be? I know there will be plenty of traffic returning from the beach on Monday... hm.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As an irrelevant aside- I have two hours to clean/tidy the house and shower before the realtor lady comes. *panics*

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

Currently in my freezer is a steak, some chicken, some Better Lemon chicken, rice (don't ask), some veggies, lots of bread, and misc. No human parts. My fridge on the other hand, that's where I keep the toes of my former 'volunteers'

Okay, here's the scoop. We go camping quite a bit, and use an insulated cooler, with large jugs of ice to keep things cool.

By the time 22 hours have passed, everything will be thawed. Frozen convenience foods, therefore (like the butter lemon chicken, I'm assuming) won't work. It'll be much easier to buy them from a grocery store when you need them.

Everything should remain cold and within the safety zone as long as you replace the ice every 24 hours or so.

The veggies will be mush--get canned ones instead. Bread doesn't need to be frozen.

The body parts, if you had them, would fare the best. The bigger the piece of meat, the longer it will remain frozen, and it will also act as another block of ice.

Place those foods, especially meat, milk and eggs, that are most in danger of spoiling, next to the ice, with other stuff (ketchup, juice, etc.) in a ring around them.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have placed the Lemon chicken in the fridge to savor over the next few days. The rest I'll just let thaw and throw in the fridge when I arrive. Thanks for the packing ideas :)

Now, looks like I should have butchered those goats rather than sent them to auction :p

Anyone know about the highways? Google does suggest the 70 to 68 route, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with that area?

Cheers,
Christina

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. I do all my camping in Canada. :D

Enjoy your trip, however you go. And drive safely.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For super big icepacks, take empty gallon jugs and liter bottles of soft drinks fill with water and freeze them.

Good luck!