PDA

View Full Version : Do you fear the dentist?

Gehanna
05-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Often, I have heard that many people fear going to see a dentist. I have an appointment today and I look forward to going. You see, my teeth are my best physical feature. This combined with remembrance of my parent's financial investment in my choppers makes me unafraid.

:cry: I'm lying. I'm scared to death that he's gonna stick a needle in my gums. It wouldn't be so bad if they only stuck you once but, OH NOOO, they gotta stick you over and over and over!!! Lord help me. I'm about to have a panic attack!

Somebody hold me. lol

Gehanna

Seaclusion
05-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Like the Spanish inquisition. They both use the same techniques.

Richard

beezle
05-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Often, I have heard that many people fear going to see a dentist. I have an appointment today and I look forward to going. You see, my teeth are my best physical feature. This combined with remembrance of my parent's financial investment in my choppers makes me unafraid.

:cry: I'm lying. I'm scared to death that he's gonna stick a needle in my gums. It wouldn't be so bad if they only stuck you once but, OH NOOO, they gotta stick you over and over and over!!! Lord help me. I'm about to have a panic attack!

Somebody hold me. lol

Gehanna

The needle is a godsend. I love the needle. Imagine it without the needle!

What really scares me is the cost.

Gehanna
05-07-2008, 06:23 PM
LOL! :D

Mr Flibble
05-07-2008, 06:24 PM
The needle is a godsend. I love the needle. Imagine it without the needle!

That's how I feel about it. But the Old Man refuses point blank to go. I suppose he has a fairly good reason -- a dentist almost OD'd him on gas when he was a kid.

beezle
05-07-2008, 06:27 PM
That's how I feel about it. But the Old Man refuses point blank to go. I suppose he has a fairly good reason -- a dentist almost OD'd him on gas when he was a kid.

My dad loves to tell the story of the time the needle went right up through his palate and into his nose.

Still, I stand by what I said. As long as it doesn't go through the roof of my mouth, I'm okay with the needle.

Gehanna
05-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Ack! I can't read any more replies till after I get back. :tongue

Gehanna

Mr Flibble
05-07-2008, 06:32 PM
My dad loves to tell the story of the time the needle went right up through his palate and into his nose.

:scared:

Sheryl Nantus
05-07-2008, 06:34 PM
my doctor, God bless him, puts a small swab with Orajel or something at the spot for a few seconds before injecting - it numbs the area totally and you seriously don't feel a thing when he puts the needle in.

the only thing that gets me through appointments is constant recitation of the Rosary. And I'm a Very Badly Lapsed Catholic to boot.

:(

MoonWriter
05-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Gehanna - ask to see the syringe first. If you're as petrified of needles as much as I am, you'll pass out before the injection. Painless.

NeuroFizz
05-07-2008, 06:43 PM
My dentist lives across the cul-de-sac. I've played poker with him, seen him drunk, seen him doing yardwork, playing with the neighborhood kids (including his and mine). My time in his chair is just another part of the friendship (although I suspect I'm helping him build his son's college fund). It really helps when you know your medical professionals. It humanizes them and increases the appreciation of their approach to and practice of their craft.

Sarita
05-07-2008, 06:56 PM
My dentist lives across the cul-de-sac. I've played poker with him, seen him drunk, seen him doing yardwork, playing with the neighborhood kids (including his and mine). My time in his chair is just another part of the friendship (although I suspect I'm helping him build his son's college fund). It really helps when you know your medical professionals. It humanizes them and increases the appreciation of their approach to and practice of their craft.
This is really true. I still get nervous, but knowing my dentist takes the edge off. I worked for him for a while and our families see each other socially quite often. We just spoke on the phone yesterday and he teased me that it was almost time for another "torture session." When I go in, the office staff has a note on my chart to remind me to bring my iPod. Calm music in my ears seems to help. And he is so unbelievably gentle, even with a needle. On the tennis court, not so much, he's a little ball of fury. And I can still beat him. Vindication.

Find a great dentist. That's the key.

kct webber
05-07-2008, 07:24 PM
What I hate is being numb for hours afterward. Don't get me wrong, I like the numb more than the pain, but for some reason they have to inject me with so much of the stuff that I'm numb for hours and hours and hours afterward. My dentist said that some people just have a resistance to the numbing stuff. I guess that's me.

Susie
05-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Much good luck, Gehanna. Hope you will have no discomfort at all. I have PTDS. Can't even bring ourselves to go. That's post traumatic dentist syndrome. I made that up, but that's the way Mr. Susie and I feel about the dentist.

kristie911
05-07-2008, 07:37 PM
I love going to the dentist...seriously. I love the way my teeth feels when they're done cleaning them. I do get just a little bit stressed when I have to have work done but she always numbs the area with a topical first so I don't even feel the needle. I just close my eyes so I can't see it! :)

The only thing I hate is that after she does a filling the area is really sensitive for about 6 months afterwards and I have to be really careful to avoid chewing food in that area. But I've had a lot of fillings over the years so I'm getting used to it.

III
05-07-2008, 07:42 PM
I despise the dentist and go about once a decade just so they can say - yeah, your teeth look fine, but let me dig at your gums with this sharp metal hook anyway.

Perks
05-07-2008, 07:48 PM
I hate having my teeth cleaned because they're a bit sensitive, but beyond that, it doesn't bother me.

I'm good at putting my mind elsewhere. Although that seems to be a bit of a hindrance at the moment when I'm trying to get some work done. And I've never been hurt by the dentist -- that's a biggie.

auntybug
05-07-2008, 07:50 PM
I have Jay beat - I go about once every 13 years - & thats only if I absolutely have to!

CaroGirl
05-07-2008, 07:54 PM
No. My dentist's a decent guy. Not out to torture me unnecessarily. Dental care has come a long way in my lifetime and most procedures are relatively painless, if a little unpleasant. Anything is worth it to keep healthy teeth and gums for a lifetime. I love my teeth. See :D

Shadow_Ferret
05-07-2008, 07:54 PM
I have never had a bad experience at the dentist.

Well, except for the time I was having my braces tightened and the doc was pushing at them with this pointy device, and it slipped, and ripped my gum open.

But that was the orthodontist. So I fear orthos, but not dentists. Braces traumatized me and it's the reason I'm self-conscious of my teeth and never show them when I smile.

Seaclusion
05-07-2008, 08:02 PM
But that was the orthodontist. So I fear orthos, but not dentists. Braces traumatized me and it's the reason I'm self-conscious of my teeth and never show them when I smile.

Braces traumatized me too, plus having four teeth pulled at a young age to accomidate the braces. I stay away from dentists and dental hygenists. I clean my own--got a set of picks and everything.

Richard

MelodyO
05-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I've had a few big things done over the years - one root canal, removal of my wisdom teeth, and it wasn't fun. However, I keep good care of my teeth and haven't had anything but cleanings for years and years. If I had to have any sort of invasive procedure done today, I'd pay the extra bucks for sedation dentistry. The less I remember, the better. My motto is: drugs are my friends. Worked for having a baby, too. :D

PS I hope your appointment went okay!!

rhymegirl
05-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't fear the dentist. I fear the torture he inflicts on me. And having to pay a huge bill since we have no dental insurance.

Next week I am going to begin the process of having a crown put on my back tooth. I put it off for a long time since it is going to cost about a thousand dollars. First they have to do drilling and x-rays and make an impression to send out to make the crown. Then I have to go back to have the crown cemented on.

I may need to take drugs ahead of time.

Gehanna
05-08-2008, 02:11 AM
I had to come back and tell you all about my experience. It was good.

Today is the first time I've ever been to this dentist. He has the best looking office I've ever seen! The entire place is very well done.

Oh, and he had good magazines there to read. None of that overly used, torn page, look like you rolled it up to kill a bug kind of stuff. The speed with which they took me back was a bit of a bummer. I was enjoying the atmosphere and the variety of quality reading material.

The best thing of all is that I didn't have to get any injections. :D

Here is a link to a blast from the past about dentists: Bill Cosby (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBqY6cJD3CE)

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Shadow_Ferret
05-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Funny. I just made an appointment for tomorrow. Some old fillings feel pain when I drink anything.

I'll let you know afterwards if I still don't fear dentists.

Seaclusion
05-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Don't fear the reaper, but do fear the drill.

Richard

DWSTXS
05-08-2008, 03:27 AM
I feared it like crazy. Then, I found a dentist that gave me VALIUM.
I take 2 before every visit, pass out, and the next thing I know he's shaking me awake.

The Valium also comes in handy for the airplane trips. Pop 2. Pass out. Arrive!

DarkDesireX
05-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Dear Kushiel, people!

Way to tell the worst stories possible to calm nerves!

But...sadly I agree with them. Dentists. Ew.

But I will tell a happy story. A little while ago I had to go in for a cleaning after...oh...nine years? Well, the cleaning when fantastic, I got so many compliments my head was too big to fit out the door.

Then came those bone crushing words: Wisdom teeth.

I had to get them removed and believe me, I was terrified. I didn't think I could handle the process just being numb and watching them pull junks of teeth and bloody gums from my mouth so I decided to be knocked out.

Not that that was any better. I have a certified phobia of needles AND the whole lack of control while you're knocked out didn't sit too well with me either.

So, Im finally sitting in the chair with this terribly rapid heartbeat and feeling like I was going to faint and the nurse comes in to put the IV in me. Needless to say I was hyperventilating like nobody's business so she flashed me a very pretty smile and showed me a very, VERY thin needle. She BARELY pricked me with it. I mean...it was like when I was little and would put safety pins through the skin in my hands (yes, I was a disturbed child) and I quickly lost feeling in my entire arm.

I didn't even notice when she put the IV in, thanks to some clever distractions and when she proceeded to inject said IV with another liquid I said, "What's that for?"

Didn't hear the answer. I woke up later feeling wonderfully loopy and minus six teeth.

It was a good experience. I don't remember a thing.

eldragon
05-08-2008, 03:43 AM
I hate having the X-Rays done. Just thinking about it makes me want to gag.

And for years I went to a dental school for dental work. It always took 5-8 shots in the gums before they figured out their stuff didn't work on me and referred me out to a real doctor.

Then my jaw would hurt for a few days.

Our local dentist uses laughing gas. No needles.

My husband prefers nothing. No shots, no laughing gas. Just go in there and do it.

Mr Flibble
05-08-2008, 03:44 AM
My dentist said that some people just have a resistance to the numbing stuff. I guess that's me.

Unfortunately that's what happened to my hubby after his near fatal dental ( honest, it's only a problem with kids, that's why they don't let dentists knock people out anymore, it won't happen to you!) incident -- he built up a huge resistance to any sort of anesthetic. This did not bode well when he got the snip.....and the anesthetic wore off half way through.

Upbeat
05-08-2008, 06:35 AM
One month before State dental insurance was terminated, my dentist 'diagnosed' a number of patients as needing immediate extractions, including me. I refused.
(Soon after, he died suddently - probably from over work on those who did not refuse.)
I have had no problems since, which I credit to using Tea Tree toothpaste.

Maryn
05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm the lucky recipient of a number of dental visits, and it's so not a big deal. You take proper care of your teeth and the cleaning takes 15 minutes or so, and you need no fillings, hence no needles or nitrous oxide.

I didn't get great dental care as a child, and it caught up with me as an adult who needed 3 root canals. One developed a drug-resistant abscess near my sinus, and now I'm part-way through the procedure of getting an implant. (The gap only shows when I smile real big, so beware of making me happy or amused.) Even the oral surgery wasn't all that bad. The swab numbed the area before the novocaine, and OTC painkillers took care of the discomfort completely during recovery.

Like someone already said, the really painful part was writing the check.

Maryn, missing #4

Shadow_Ferret
05-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Ha! I'm back. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my teeth (other than the usual "You have to floss" speech). It turns out it's the toothpaste that is causing the pain!

They said they get all sorts of problems and complaints from people using either Colgate Total or Crest Pro-Health.

MelodyO
05-08-2008, 10:14 PM
I was a terrible flosser - right up until I got braces as a 30-something. I threaded floss between my teeth every day for 18 months. Woe. Now flossing is a two minute joy. \0/

sassandgroove
05-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Where is toothpaste? SHe so needs to post in this thread. Once when she was new here she was upset about something and i had to resist making a joke about sensodyne. Ferret's post made me think of that.

I wasn't scared of dentist's as a kid. When I was 18 and on my own I went to one and she said I had 6 cavities. SIX. How do you go from 0-6 in a year or less? Second opinion guy said no, not 6 but i did need a $2000 crown. Me- head in sand for a few years. THrid opinion guy said, no only one, way in the back of my mouth, the other two dentists were trying to pay for their yachts. So I kept going to him after that. I'm not scared of them, but I can see from that experience why some people would be.